Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition Coil a Good source for the power to generator?

AVP Guest
    Well, as a follow up, the wiring was fine when not connected to my HHO cell, and blew immediately when I hooked up the cell, so it must be a configuration problem with the plates. That configuration is as follows: the positive strap to the positive lead is connected to one outside plate with metal nuts on the outside of that plate. I then have 2 neutral plates, all with plastic washers between, then the negative strap is connected to the 4th plate, again on one side with metal nuts, then the remaining plates (5 through 7) are all neutral (plastic washers between all plates). I do have a stainless steel bowed metal strip on the bottom of the first plate (the positive plate) attached to the last plate on the bottom (plate #7). Is that the problem? Any additional help here would be great. Thanks again.
    AVP

Spookious Guest
    You're listing plate #7 as both being a neutral and a positive?? (Which means it's a positive, really.) Because of your strap, it sounds like... +NN-NN+, is this correct? You may not have enough neutrals (or maybe one more negative)?

(just a guess though; I'm still learning)

AVP Guest
    Spookius,

Thanks for your input. I guess I didn't state in my original post that was what I was shooting for - +NN-NN+. I sure don't see how that setup would be causing too much draw with those neutral plates positioned like that. Could be wrong, though. I have read a lot on these forums, and I think my spacing between plates is correct too, so I'm still looking for an explanation as to why this arrangement blows right through my 30 amp fuse so quickly. If the plate configuration is faulty and someone can help me on that, I'll surely change it, but I can only think of one other potential cause. If the wire coming from the relay was not correctly fused, that might be a problem. The relay wire is a smaller gauge (looks like a 14) and I've connected it to a 10 gauge to the generator, so if that connection were poor, would that create a short-out situation? Anybody on the plate design or that wiring question?
    AVP

Maybe your electrolite soloution is to strong.

AVP Guest
    crb,

I don't think so - I'm using NaOH in a pretty measured amount that I've tested as not drawing too many amps. The reason I don't believe it is the electrolyte is that no chemical reaction is even happening - the fuse blows the minute the contact is hooked to the generator, so I doubt the electrolyte could have an instantaneous reaction. Still think it has to be wiring or the plate set-up.
    AVP