Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Fabricator here...

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    most guys are using 20ga or 22ga right?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck73 View Post
    most guys are using 20ga or 22ga right?
    Yeap,

Some have gone to .020" with dry cells. I believe that is 24 gauge not sure?

I’m building one with 316 L .020". And one .020" electrodes and .010" neutral pates (a little hard to cut without a laser cutter)

Some use thicker plates so they well take longer to corrode though. (304)
    Ive heard from one guy that says 316 L after a year shows Know sign of corroding.

Maybe SCM can show us the price difference between the different thicknesses?

All I have is a small peice of 18g. 316L (3' x 4'). So I made a couple of phone calls today, and it may be a little harder than I thought to get some light gauge 316L (24-20g). From a fabrication stand point its a little more difficult to keep the peices flat when you work with a lighter gauge especially when you start punching holes and notching. But, I'll continue to try and find at least 20g.

As far as price difference, I got a quote on a 4' x 10' peice of 18g. and it was around $4.50 lb.!!! So going lighter will make a difference in price as 18g. is about 2lbs. per sq. ft. and 24 g. is about 1 lb. per sq. ft.

I'll continue to search..

Im not sure how many pounds of SS a 4' x 10' 24 ga weights, but the cheapest i can find a sheet of 316 L 24 ga is about $350.00

If your figures are right 4'x10' 24 ga should be 40lbs x $4.50 = $180

Water or lasar cutting it is very pricey also.

sumdude Guest
    Yes the lighter the gauge it will tend to bend when you attempt to do any fabrication to it. expecially when drilling holes it tends to bends around the edges of the hole. However a buddy of mines owns a metal shop so therefore I personally receive mines at a great discount.

At times he has sales where he has the 316L 20G. at $16 sq.ft and 24 g. at $12 sq. ft

I just got 14 4X4 316L cut from him and it only cost me about $30 include fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    All I have is a small peice of 18g. 316L (3' x 4'). So I made a couple of phone calls today, and it may be a little harder than I thought to get some light gauge 316L (24-20g). From a fabrication stand point its a little more difficult to keep the peices flat when you work with a lighter gauge especially when you start punching holes and notching. But, I'll continue to try and find at least 20g.

As far as price difference, I got a quote on a 4' x 10' peice of 18g. and it was around $4.50 lb.!!! So going lighter will make a difference in price as 18g. is about 2lbs. per sq. ft. and 24 g. is about 1 lb. per sq. ft.

I'll continue to search..

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    I got my plates from ebay....
    316L 8"x8" 16g for $6 each that is the cheapest I have found. They should be here today. Seems to be thicker than what everyone is using. Hopefully it will not be too hard to work with. I do have access to a plasma cutter if needed.
    Yep, you'll need that plasma cutter I bet.

Which guy are you referring to SCM

Yeah I think he means me...
    I sent him a quote, but somehow it must not have gone through.

I sent him another.

Sorry Stevo

hitf Guest

20 gauge #430 stainless

Is a far better material to use, if any one would like some contact me at:

quinn@hydrogenisthefuture.com

Price per square foot:

0-50 6.00 dollars
    50-100 5.00 dollars

plus shipping

I received my SS plates today from SCM as promised. They look great, real flat, in fact so flat I had a tough time getting them apart. All the holes are as should be. I'm a happy camper or should I say a happy cell maker. Well, another piece of the puzzle and we'll be on our way to better gas mileage in no time. Thanks SCM..