Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metal Fabricator here...

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Yeah I think he means me...
    I sent him a quote, but somehow it must not have gone through.

I sent him another.

Sorry Stevo

It's ok. I'm actually scratching my last design for another one that I am pondering. Waiting on some flow results in a different thread. I am very interested in 430 stainless though.

Still waiting for a price on the 430 grade S.S.(might not be until early next week).
    I'm not familiar with the 400 series S.S., I almost exclusively use the 300 series. So, I asked a couple of fellow fabricators what they know about 430. They, said that 430 is junk! That its magnetic, and mostly used for asthetic purposes (trim, cheap gas grills)

So I wonder why some of you are requesting 430? Just for the cheaper price? Or, does it really work good for cell plates?

Has anyone been using 430 grade, how is it holding up?

Found this http://www.mastainless.com/grades/index.html

Should be many more grade descriptions

theramsey3 Guest
    Me personally I would not even play with the 400 series see my post showing all the chemical properties of 430 and 316L http://hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=18518&postcount=4 in 20 GAUGE #430 STAINLESS (SOLD BY THE SQUARE FOOT)

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    So I wonder why some of you are requesting 430? Just for the cheaper price? Or, does it really work good for cell plates?

Has anyone been using 430 grade, how is it holding up?
    I'm still trying to get an answer on that since we have people here stating that it works "great". Yes, obviously cost is a *huge* factor here. You could tell me all about the composition of the metal all day long, but until I've seen actual test results with electrolysis... I can't necessarily mark it off the list at this point.

theramsey3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I'm still trying to get an answer on that since we have people here stating that it works "great". Yes, obviously cost is a *huge* factor here. You could tell me all about the composition of the metal all day long, but until I've seen actual test results with electrolysis... I can't necessarily mark it off the list at this point.
    I would like to see a test of the 430 on a dry cell pulling 50 - 60 amps on 21 plates -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- for lets say a period of 7 days if no adverse affects run it on a bench for a month at 30 - 40 amps and if there are still no adverse affects then i would venture to say it is a plausible metal to be used for electrolysis but the big thing that drives me away from it is the fact that it is magnetic which must mean that it contains more iron in it than 316L

theramsey3 Guest
    Just wanted to say I wasn't trying to thread jack you or drive away business just stating my opinion and providing facts of the 2 different metals. The 430 might work just fine being as we are (or at least should be according to plate spacing) using a relatively weak alkaline solution as electrolyte. but would still like to see the experiment I mentioned performed even on a smaller scale IE. one six plate cell +nnnn- pulling about 12 - 15 amps to either prove or disprove the 430.

430 stainless

The first cell I ever built was over a year ago. I cut the plates from a stainless steel refridgerator door skin (it was magnetic. I am not sure but think it was 430 stainless. The plates did not last two months with the cell in my Jeep. I had to keep adding more and more electrolite (at that time baking soda) just to keep the amps at 30. The Jeep was only on about 30 minutes per day. I took the plates to the stainless shop here in town. They also were not sure but thought they were 430 as well. They sold me 316L stainless. No more problems. I would not walk away from 430 I would run.

You might want to confrim this, BUT i believe Bob Boyce uses 430 SS. but im not sure why he uses it. it might be cost

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    316l 8x8x.0625 (16 gauge) = 16.50oz (.2578125 per sq in)

So a 48X120x.0416666 (24 gauge) = 1485/1.5 = 990oz/16 = 61.875lbs x 4.50 = $278.44

I belive 24 ga is .023" not .042"
    38 lbs / $350.00 makes it closer to $9.00 lb
    i no if you buy bulk i can get closer to $4.50/lbs but thats 10- 4'x10' sheets!!

im have been looking for a good quality (316L) 28 or 26 ga ss for months with no luck