Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Metal Fabricator here...

430 stainless will not work

For any of you wanting to try 430 stainless please read this article. The people trying to sell it are either mis-informed or trying to male an extra buck because it is less expensive.

http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlessste...a042305a_2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    I belive 24 ga is .023" not .042"
    38 lbs / $350.00 makes it closer to $9.00 lb
    i no if you buy bulk i can get closer to $4.50/lbs but thats 10- 4'x10' sheets!!

im have been looking for a good quality (316L) 28 or 26 ga ss for months with no luck
    Not sure which gauge is which size, but McMasterCarr sells up to .5" thick 316L in sizes from 12"x12" up to 48"x24"?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by theramsey3 View Post
    I would like to see a test of the 430 on a dry cell pulling 50 - 60 amps on 21 plates -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- for lets say a period of 7 days if no adverse affects run it on a bench for a month at 30 - 40 amps and if there are still no adverse affects then i would venture to say it is a plausible metal to be used for electrolysis but the big thing that drives me away from it is the fact that it is magnetic which must mean that it contains more iron in it than 316L
    First of all, I would like to say that I do not use 430 grade stainless, but
    I do want to point out a fact that does not seem to be apparent throughout this thread, or even through out the forum..........

Rergardless of what plate grades you use (at least in a wet cell design), they need to be connected to the source of current..........

When is the last time you found 430 SS grade nuts and bolts, or for that matter, 316 nuts and bolts (either regular, or L grade)?

In virtually every circumstance (in the USA), you will encounter 18-8 ss nuts, and bolts (which is the same as 304 grade).

Whenever you use two different grades of materials, either above or below the water line, the weaker grade, will always corrode!

However, if you select your plate materials, with the fastener grades in mind, you can yoke the materials evenly!

With no imbalance of material grades, even the softer materials can last a very long time!

But without that balance, even the 316L, will react with the softer bolts, eating away at the connection points of contact, possibly causing a spark!

It is always the softer metal that is eaten up, but materials in balanced composition, do not suffer that consequence!

In the HHO quest, never mix material compositions!
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Maybe I am lucky but we usually have less variety in Alaska. 316L allthread, nuts, and washers were easy to come by at the local fastener supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Maybe I am lucky but we usually have less variety in Alaska. 316L allthread, nuts, and washers were easy to come by at the local fastener supply store.
    In Alaska, that does not surprise me, as the climate there, dips to extreems almost beyond our imaginations. It only makes sense, in such climates to use superior metals, to hold up to brittle cold conditions.

But as a resident of Naples Florida, 316 L hardware, is virtually impossible, to find.

It's no secret, that your climate, requires metals that can out perform most! But that is not the norm.

Store owners have to put out huge amounts of cash, to stock store shelfs, and in the lower 48, spending twice as much, for higher grades of stainless, in most cases, does not make practical sense.

Stainless, in most cases is not required for strength, near as much, as it is for it's non corrosive properties.

Higher carbon content, gives it better strength, which stands up to the "brittle" cold, better.

I don't say that to be argumentitive, but to state that in terms of Alaska's, and Florida's climates, neither of us, can claim to be the normal atmosphere!

In fact, our country is so large, that each specific state varies to some degree, in climate conditions.
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Price List

I have come up with a price chart using 20g. 316 s.s.
    You choose the width and height, numbers of holes, and get an instant price.

I will e-mail this chart to anyone interested....

Quote Originally Posted by DaneDHorstead View Post
    In Alaska, that does not surprise me, as the climate there, dips to extreems almost beyond our imaginations. It only makes sense, in such climates to use superior metals, to hold up to brittle cold conditions.

But as a resident of Naples Florida, 316 L hardware, is virtually impossible, to find.

It's no secret, that your climate, requires metals that can out perform most! But that is not the norm.

Store owners have to put out huge amounts of cash, to stock store shelfs, and in the lower 48, spending twice as much, for higher grades of stainless, in most cases, does not make practical sense.

Stainless, in most cases is not required for strength, near as much, as it is for it's non corrosive properties.

Higher carbon content, gives it better strength, which stands up to the "brittle" cold, better.

I don't say that to be argumentitive, but to state that in terms of Alaska's, and Florida's climates, neither of us, can claim to be the normal atmosphere!

In fact, our country is so large, that each specific state varies to some degree, in climate conditions.
    We probably have some extra supply of 316L due to the huge commercial fishing industry. Almost all stainless used in salt water is high grade.

hhothekilla Guest

SS Grade

Hello Gents and Ladies! I was wondering if anyone has tried AL-6XN Stainless steel? It has greater corrosion resistance than 316L. It also has higher levels of nickle which means low magnetic characteristics. With very high levels of molybdenum which contributes to the high corrosion resistance. It is also supposed to be less expensive than the traditional stainless steels. I believe this alloy was created because of cloride pitting. This alloy eliminates pitting and stress corrosion.

cat3rn Guest
    Would like to get a price on 25 plates 8" X 8"?

fbmob1 Guest

send it! to: fbmob1@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    I have come up with a price chart using 20g. 316 s.s.
    You choose the width and height, numbers of holes, and get an instant price.

I will e-mail this chart to anyone interested....
    Please e-mail your price chart to fbmob1@aol.com