Thread: electrolite

alpha-dog Guest

electrolite

Whats the best way to determine how much electolite to use in your system?
    Russ

I do it based on the amp draw. I always mix electrolyte on the weak side, and then add a "pinch" at a time until I achieve the max amp draw that I'm comfortable with. This requires that you either have an amp gauge hooked into the HHO device circuit, or have a clamp on meter capable of reading DC amps.

From my short experience with HHO the electrolyte concentration is the key to being able to control everything. Stronger electrolyte produces more gas, but also increases amp draw and heat.....my tow biggest enemies. With my current set up I'm comfortable drawing up to 22 amps, which gets me just over 1 lpm of gas, without overheating the unit.
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

just remember that amps go up as heat goes up.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    Whats the best way to determine how much electolite to use in your system?
    Russ
    Heat the water to desired temp. Maybe in the microwave or stove, ect. Then add small amounts of KOH to find the approx peak amp draw you will achieve. Just a few flakes of KOH at a time will do. Cold and warm cell performance can be very different amp readings as we have discovered.

what i do for adding more KOH is put some water in a plastic jar than add KOH (high consentration) - mix it up and than with a baster add to the water already in the gen and add a bit at a time until wanted amps is achived.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

alpha-dog Guest
    I'm running at 30 amps now and that seems to be about right. I am using a sid cell which will run at 45 amps easy. I brought it back to 5 amps and no joy. It wants more electrolite. It doesn't get hot, I've ran it for 1/2 hr with no increase in temp. I've tried to measure its output but I don't have the right stuff. So one tall beer glass in about 15 sec. What is that? 17~19 oz in 15 sec. Thats about 2.5 teaspoons of lye per one gallon of water.
    Thank everyone for your input.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    I'm running at 30 amps now and that seems to be about right. I am using a sid cell which will run at 45 amps easy. I brought it back to 5 amps and no joy. It wants more electrolite. It doesn't get hot, I've ran it for 1/2 hr with no increase in temp. I've tried to measure its output but I don't have the right stuff. So one tall beer glass in about 15 sec. What is that? 17~19 oz in 15 sec. Thats about 2.5 teaspoons of lye per one gallon of water.
    Thank everyone for your input.
    Russ
    Get yourself any 1 liter bottle and fill it with water,insert the output tube and submerge it in a bucket then time how long it takes to fill it with hho.This will give the output lpms.

Also 2.5 teaspoons per gal. falls way short of how much to use with that design cell.Just make a note of how much you use so you can determine the correct ratio for future mixing.

I measure my electrolyte by the gallon. That way I know exactly how much to add to achieve the same results. I don't use a whole gallon in the unit but to keep things accurate that's how I measure. If I need more KOH, I put the entire contents of the cell back into the gallon container and add some more and record the amount added. I can't mix a pinch here and a pinch there very accurately.