Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O2 Extenders - 2002 Liberty - Check engine light

patricke123 Guest

O2 Extenders - 2002 Liberty - Check engine light

Hi,

I am having trouble with the check engine light coming on in a 2002 Jeep Liberty after installing O2 extenders. Light came on after about 100 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make the correct modifications to the computer without the check engine coming on? I used the O2 extenders because it was a simple and inexpensive solution and it seemed to work pretty well on my Windstar.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Patrick

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Try disconnecting your batery for a minute. Your computer may need to relearn itself.

patricke123 Guest
    Thanks - how many times would I have to disconnect the battery for the computer to re-learn itself - any other suggestions, tricks or advice???

Patrick

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    just once... it will clear the memory and reset the stored enviroment data... did you do it once before?

actually even easier then disconnecting the battery, on your jeep, just open the fuse box under the hood and locate the fuse for the PCM (powertrain control module)... pull that fuse out, put the key in the ignition and turn key to run but not start, wait 30secs, turn key off and re-install fuse... now it's reset... the learning mode will be over in about 200mi...

this is the process for Chrysler-made vehicles. I don't know if it work for anyone else... when you disconnect the battery, different ECUs from different manufacturers take different amounts of time to discharge all the remaining power in the ECU... you are killing the power long enough to allow the volatile memory to erase (due to loss of power)... if you don't wait long enough, the memory will not be empty...

patricke123 Guest
    just once... it will clear the memory and reset the stored enviroment data... did you do it once before?
    No - i just un-screwed the sensors - and installed the non-foulers - but never reset the computer - after a 100 mile the check engine light came on. Should I have reset the computer right away after I installed the non-foulers?

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patricke123 View Post
    No - i just un-screwed the sensors - and installed the non-foulers - but never reset the computer - after a 100 mile the check engine light came on. Should I have reset the computer right away after I installed the non-foulers?
    yes, anytime there is a change with emissions (enviroment) you should reset the computer so it will get used to the new settings/equipment...

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by patricke123 View Post
    If you are use non foulers make sure you have drilled the I.D. out to 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by HALS-GUNSMITHING View Post
    If you are use non foulers make sure you have drilled the I.D. out to 1/2"
    9/16" is the proper size for drilling out non-foulers. 1/2" is too narrow and will set codes often. Just not enogh flow to the sensor using 1/2".

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    9/16" is the proper size for drilling out non-foulers. 1/2" is too narrow and will set codes often. Just not enogh flow to the sensor using 1/2".
    This is good to know thanks for the input. Would you know the pitch of a non fouler I think the diameter is 18mm.

Quote Originally Posted by HALS-GUNSMITHING View Post
    This is good to know thanks for the input. Would you know the pitch of a non fouler I think the diameter is 18mm.
    Most O2s I've seen are 18mm.