Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking LPM's

Riddler250 Guest

Checking LPM's

I finally got the smacks booster built. I hooked it up to my car last night just to prove to myself that it works. It does. There was a bunch a steam coming out of my exhaust and a nice size puddle of water under it. Looked like a blown head gasket, but it wasnt.
    How is everyone measuring output? I need a good way to see how much gas i am actually producing.
    Thanks. David

HHO_Chevelle Guest
    First of all, unless your dumping huge quanities of HHO in that engine, it will not be producing steam or water vapor like that. I know you want it to be a substitute for your gasoline but in reality it's not that simple. I see alot of people hook these things up and expect their exhaust to instantly turn to water.

If you have a smacks booster your probably putting out 1 LPM or less unless you're really drawing some serious amps. You need to do a volume test though to verify it. You can easily do that with a 2 liter bottle filled with water turned upside down in a bucket of water and put your output line inside and time how long it takes to empty the bottle. There is plenty of people demonstrating this on youtube.

Good luck with our booster and let us know what your MPG gains are.

Thanks

Corey

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Does any one no of a good source of cheap LPM gauges?

HHOinKY Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HALS-GUNSMITHING View Post
    Empty 2 liter bottle with the wrapper taken off and a bucket.

Bottle and bucket is the simplest method. And a accurate method IMO. most everybody uses this method to meassure production so it probably best way when comparing outputs.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/RM_iom.pdf
    These work good and not very expensive. (You must correct the # for the gas you’re measuring.)
    For HHO, multiply by 1.53 for this type of meter.

Correct for temp also if you really want the true reading (This applies for the bottle method also)
    Air at 2 LPM at 120 degree = 1.92 at 85 degrees
    Air at 2 LPM at 150 degree = 1.86 at 85 degrees
    I don’t know if temp correction is much different for HHO
    If some knows this correction please let us know

Correct for pressure if their is any.

Then if you can figure out a way to factor out steam you'll be spot on

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    Bottle and bucket is the simplest method. And a accurate method IMO. most everybody uses this method to meassure production so it probably best way when comparing outputs.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/RM_iom.pdf
    These work good and not very expensive. (You must correct the # for the gas you’re measuring.)
    For HHO, multiply by 1.53 for this type of meter.

Correct for temp also if you really want the true reading (This applies for the bottle method also)
    Air at 2 LPM at 120 degree = 1.92 at 85 degrees
    Air at 2 LPM at 150 degree = 1.86 at 85 degrees
    I don’t know if temp correction is much different for HHO
    If some knows this correction please let us know

Correct for pressure if their is any.

Then if you can figure out a way to factor out steam you'll be spot on
    I already use this method I just would like to find something a little easier and faster to use. Thanks.

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HHO_Chevelle View Post
    First of all, unless your dumping huge quanities of HHO in that engine, it will not be producing steam or water vapor like that. I know you want it to be a substitute for your gasoline but in reality it's not that simple. I see alot of people hook these things up and expect their exhaust to instantly turn to water.

If you have a smacks booster your probably putting out 1 LPM or less unless you're really drawing some serious amps. You need to do a volume test though to verify it. You can easily do that with a 2 liter bottle filled with water turned upside down in a bucket of water and put your output line inside and time how long it takes to empty the bottle. There is plenty of people demonstrating this on youtube.

Good luck with our booster and let us know what your MPG gains are.

Thanks

Corey
    After running for probably 10 minutes, a lot of water and steam was coming out of exhaust. it did not do that before, that I am sure. I unhooked it let my car run for a while and probably 5 minutes later the steam and water stopped. I could not see my exhaust before i hooked it up, and i can not see it now. It has to be that.

Realtyroy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    After running for probably 10 minutes, a lot of water and steam was coming out of exhaust. it did not do that before, that I am sure. I unhooked it let my car run for a while and probably 5 minutes later the steam and water stopped. I could not see my exhaust before i hooked it up, and i can not see it now. It has to be that.
    Your Smack might be putting out a lot of steam along with the HHO. Have you checked how much current you are using? Are you using a bubbler,it will cool the gas and separate most of the steam before it goes into the engine?

Just thinking out loud.
    Roy

I already use this method I just would like to find something a little easier and faster to use. Thanks.
    Id get the RMB-50D $40 (with the V___ seals) and what ever it reads Xs 1.53= get you in the ball park.
    You might want the one with the reg valve on it. It allows you to put a little back pressure on it for easier reading (keeps the ball study in some cases).

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    Very strange. i dont think it the HHO ether, something else is going on IMO.( unless your pumping in a whole lot (like 50 lpm plus) of HHO.

What is the temp of your cell?

PS. a average bubler wont seperate the steam.