Thread: Marine Goop

midnight1957 Guest

Marine Goop

I have seen a lot of people on here using Marine goop, where is the best place to buy it, maybe hardware stores?

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
    Wade

Griz64 Guest
    I got mine from Westlake hardware but I dont know if you have those in your part of the world or not. I will tell you that Automotive Goop is just as good. I ran out of Marine Goop and the store didnt have any but they did have Automotive goop and I was in a hurry and didnt want to wait a week so I bought some. Probably the same stuff with a different label. Hope this helped.

midnight1957 Guest

Marine goop

Is that the same thing all of the automotive parts houses carry that is called high temp silicon?

Wade

K-Mart has it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight1957 View Post
    Is that the same thing all of the automotive parts houses carry that is called high temp silicon?

Wade
    Nope the Goop is different than the ht silicone, but I'd think the ht silicone would work good to. The Goop is a better adhesive I think.

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinablue View Post
    Nope the Goop is different than the ht silicone, but I'd think the ht silicone would work good to. The Goop is a better adhesive I think.
    If you get marine goop, the main ingredient is neoprene, which is a very durable rubber. I've used the permatex high temp gasket sealer (clear, blue, red, and black). The black is great as long as it doesn't touch the electrolyte bath. When the bath gets hot, the caustic material (KOH, or NaOH) will very slowly deteriorate the sealer and create small leaks. If you can keep the temperature very low, the ultra black high temp gasket sealer by permatex is perfect. Once the temperature rises, it has a tough time adhering to the material of the generator (for me, polycarbonate lexan). I know that neoprene rubber doesn't dissolve in the caustic materials because it's very durable. Since marine goop has neoprene, it makes it perfect. If the automotive goop is the same material, give it a shot.

My local Home Despot carries it and the regular Goop.