Thread: Tried my HHO Cell for the first time

brunet Guest

Tried my HHO Cell for the first time

Hooked it up to a 2003 civic, cell was inside the car in the passenger foot well, with 10 ga wire direct to the battery with a inline 55 amp breaker. Ran good for about 15 minutes, then things started to get hot. Wires were getting hot and the water was almost boiling, it finally tripped my 55amp circuit breaker, so i might have to try another cell design, or use a reostat or potentiometer to limit the current. I have learned much from this. I think my electrodes are to far apart causing the high amp draw because it takes more to get the current through the further distance of water. Therefore the water gets to hot because theres alot more resistance. I will post a picture of the electrodes and you will see what i mean. And i did have a crap load of baking soda in the water, still not sure about the amount, i just dump a whole bunch in lol i will post pictures of my original design

Another thought i have for my next design is the size of the electrodes porpotionatly to each other, For some reason i have stuck in my head that the negative electrodes should be 2/3 bigger than the positive ones because hydrogen is produced at the negative electrode and oxygen at the positive, HHO > 2 hygrogen 1 Oxygen. I'm wondering what you guys are finding with the size of electrodes??.

My next design > 15 plates 6" by 3.5" to start with. Maybe cut the positive plates down 2/3 like i said to 2" by like 1 " . OR leave all the plates the same size??? i'm not sure yet which i should try. The plates will sit inside my 4" ABS pipe from my old cell and tie in with stainless bolts offset to each other with little tabs connecting every other plate to each other

so +n-n+n-n+n-n+n-n+n-n+n-n+n-n+ pretty straight forward

Your first cell

Dont mean to sound negative, but it really has nothing to do with how far you plates are from each other. The conductivity of the water is what is causing high amperage. The more conductive the water is the more amps you will draw. The water is acting like a wire between you + and - plates. Thats what you want, but not to the extent of 55 amps. You either have too much electrolyte in your water, or you have a direct short between your plates. I would guess that its the first. Here is a suggestion, before you dismantle your cell, clean it out. Then heat up some water to about 150 degrees farenheit. After its hot, poor it into your cell. Then slowing add baking soda until you reach your desired amperage. Be sure to add slowly as it wont take long to pass what you want. I would suggest no more that a 1 1/2 teaspoon. Probably start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up. Hope this helps

OOPs

I didnt realize this was an old post, sorry if I said something youve already been told.

hmm

reduce amount of electrolyte and the amperage will go down.

try just a small amount.

FizzMaster Guest

Auto Installs

What Stratous si saying is correct, reducing the amount of electrolyte will reduce current flow and temp rise, however you'll also produce a lot less gas. The gas production is proportional to the number of electrons you pass through your cell. If you want to produce enough gas to make a difference in your call you can go with a number of smaller cells, that each produce some gas rather than one monster that will overheat in no time.

There was another guy on this site that had a link his his homepage where he did something similar. I apologize but I can't remember his name or what forum I saw it in... He called the over temp and resistance drop cell run-away.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Dont mean to sound negative, but it really has nothing to do with how far you plates are from each other. The conductivity of the water is what is causing high amperage. The more conductive the water is the more amps you will draw. The water is acting like a wire between you + and - plates. Thats what you want, but not to the extent of 55 amps. You either have too much electrolyte in your water, or you have a direct short between your plates. I would guess that its the first. Here is a suggestion, before you dismantle your cell, clean it out. Then heat up some water to about 150 degrees farenheit. After its hot, poor it into your cell. Then slowing add baking soda until you reach your desired amperage. Be sure to add slowly as it wont take long to pass what you want. I would suggest no more that a 1 1/2 teaspoon. Probably start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up. Hope this helps