Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manifold Questions! Please help - I'm desperate!

Quote Originally Posted by HHOhoper View Post
    Yes, I can see how that all works and it's really quite clever. I think I should be able to work something like that on both my car and the Jeep.

Did you do this with your resonator initially or did you try the air box first? I'd like to know if there was much of a difference after having done this.
    I went straight for this approach as it seemed to be aligned to most peoples advice. I'd also been following radgenh2o on youtube's videos and noted that he had throttle response problems when introducing at the air filter.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Interesting. So let's say that this doesn't yield much of a benefits or improvement. What would you try next?

Also, can you explain how a MAF works exactly? It doesn't have a clue what the stuff going past it is made of does it? I'm a little...ok, let's be honest...I'm VERY confused as to how the MAF interferes with anything actually.
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

Quote Originally Posted by HHOhoper View Post
    Interesting. So let's say that this doesn't yield much of a benefits or improvement. What would you try next?

Also, can you explain how a MAF works exactly? It doesn't have a clue what the stuff going past it is made of does it? I'm a little...ok, let's be honest...I'm VERY confused as to how the MAF interferes with anything actually.
    As far as I know, there are several designs of MAF, they measure mass airflow usually by heating a wire and allowing the flowing air to cool it. One of the auto techs can definitely give more help here.

I personally don't believe that bypassing the MAF makes any difference. We're not producing enough gas to measure up against the fresh air flow hitting out engines.

If this doesn't work, I might try the PCV vacuum tube. At the moment, I'm very confused about the results from my own setup, something just doesn't seem right when I compare to others results with exactly the same vehicle. I'll go into more detail in my own thread as soon as I have my head together on the facts. I'm working all this weekend, so will have a lot of downtime for thought.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post

I personally don't believe that bypassing the MAF makes any difference. We're not producing enough gas to measure up against the fresh air flow hitting out engines..
    After thinking about it, the same thought occurred to me. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see it making that much of a difference.

I really think doing the manifold vacuum thing would be the next possible step that I really think could yield a notable benefit (all speculation of course). I just want to make sure that I'm tapping in at an effective and safe spot. Doesn't the PCV just recirculate exhaust gases back through the engine? Is that the best way to go?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

No gains.

On most vehicles, the PVC valve recycles the engine gases back to the base of the air cleaner. The flow on the PVC goes from a valve cover, to the air cleaner base.
    I hold to the statement I made previously... once you get this aspect figured out, its likely that your going to have to deal with the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold too. The overall system of sensors/computer in a vehicle were designed to work in concert, meaning that once you get past the MAF, then the O2 sensor in the exhaust is likely going to pickup the change in the exhaust gas temp, which will occur due to the change in the air/fule mix going past it. If that temp is not within the set parameters for the sensor, it will signal the computer that the engine is running lean, and the computer will compensate by adding more fuel, which will negate any benefit. Because each vehicle seems to react slightly differently to HHO, you may achieve a slight increase in MPG, but nothing like you would if you consider the overall picture.
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

Well, if that turns out to be the case then I really hope that extenders will be enough to compensate. If not, there's another bridge to cross. Thank you for the helpful insight!

No gains.