Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel wool as an electrode

Sweden Guest

SS Fat filter with frame...

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    You could use a ss pot scrubber and do the same thing. Then see how long it last and production rates.
    Why don't use "fat filters" in SS??....see pic....

When I tried to use SS mesh it got eaten up in less than an hour, unfortunatelly. But nice bubbles!
    -------------------------
    6x6 plates (304SS)
    Currently researching on:
    - Al3O2 .5 micron-spheres blasted to Ni-plated SS electrodes
    - Hydrophilic center-cell tissue spacers
    - Neoprene pressure builder in HHO outlet associated with pre-cell water pump
    - Ni-Ti (.016") filaments welded to SS electrodes to guide current distribution
    - Organic Polymers (selective membrane, electrode life, solid electrolyte, etc)
    -------------------------

This had come up before, on several pages. It is something that i thought of too, but there are many complications with it that make it not worthwhile. First off we are talking about SS wool, non SS will rust really fast in just water, add HHO (well just the O) and you have brown electrolyte and no electrode.
    Assuming you find some wool of a good alloy for HHO:

1) You have lots of surface, which is good
    2) You have a mess of fibers which is hard to work with, add gas and they move around a little, and it's hard to keep them from shorting out, which is bad.
    3) To get the voltage drop in a reasonable range you will need to make seven or eight tanks for these, which take up a lot of space, which is bad.
    4) It is impossible to have a consistent gap between electrodes, as your using a mass of fibers. This will make a multiple gap cell of any size not work so well, which is bad.
    5) The gap will need to be lager to keep it from shorting out, which will add resistance, which is bad.

If you can think up a way to deal with these 4 problems then go for it, and i'd love to help in the design end of thing, but unless your starting with a 2V DC power supply your going to run into a lot of problems, and even then you'd be better off with a SS plate cell (unless you have some nifty tricks up your sleeve).
    I=V/R so R=V/I and V=I*R
    P=V*I
    (I=Amps, V=volts, P= power in watts, R=resistance in ohms)

Why couldn't you put the mesh in between two solid plates to control it, on the + a- and also the n plates. It would make the plates thicker but you could use less plates. I might try that!