Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry cell design question

Dry cell design question

Hello Everyone!

While in the shop this evening, working on a wet cell, I was pondering the designs of dry cells that I have seen. My first thought was that a dry cell design, where the bolts go through all of the plates, was the cat's meow. But then it occurred to me that somewhere in the stack of plates, the bolt is bound to make contact with one or more of the plates....and if it makes contact with a pos and a negitive plate....isn't that a current pathway? So, if that occurred, wouldn't the cell short out?

Maybe I'm way off base, but it seems logical to me?? Maybe that the reason that you see some dry cells with the bolts on the exterior of the plates?
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    Hello Everyone!

While in the shop this evening, working on a wet cell, I was pondering the designs of dry cells that I have seen. My first thought was that a dry cell design, where the bolts go through all of the plates, was the cat's meow. But then it occurred to me that somewhere in the stack of plates, the bolt is bound to make contact with one or more of the plates....and if it makes contact with a pos and a negitive plate....isn't that a current pathway? So, if that occurred, wouldn't the cell short out?

Maybe I'm way off base, but it seems logical to me?? Maybe that the reason that you see some dry cells with the bolts on the exterior of the plates?
    Dry cell designs that put the bolts through the plates themselves are easier to seal, for obvious reasons. Normally, they have a plastic tube over the bolt to insulate it from the plates.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Hello Everyone!

The Tero design seals fine when built properly.Imo thru plate designs aren't necessary to get a good seal.If you follow the Tero plans you'll have no leaks and without all the drilling and not to mention the loss in plate area.My cell has been installed and diassembled for inspection without one single leak.If you are bent on the through plate bolting system be safe and use nylon bolts instead of ss steel and tubes.I've several friends that also built Teros to plan and all with no leaks.

This is only my opinion and experience with dry cell construction.

HydroFarmer Guest

I like the idea also. Is there anybody out there supplying ss plates around the 8x8" size. I considered using this idea with 70 to 80 plates with a bridge recitifer and applying 120vac into the bridge and getting 112vdc out and dividing this by 1.5 volts/plate and getting approx 76 plates. This should control the heating issues. Any more thoughts on this idea.

OK! Yea! I did not consider non-metallic sleeves! That would make sense. Being a newbie at the dry cells, it would seemed that the "through bolts" would be a nice way to keep the plates/gaskets aligned for assembly. Could someone post a link to the Tero cell design?

Many Thanks!
    Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
    www.caffreyknives.net

OK! Yea! I did not consider non-metallic sleeves! That would make sense. Being a newbie at the dry cells, it would seemed that the "through bolts" would be a nice way to keep the plates/gaskets aligned for assembly. Could someone post a link to the Tero cell design?

Many Thanks!

http://www.umpquaenergy.com/hydrogen.../tero_cell.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HydroFarmer View Post
    I like the idea also. Is there anybody out there supplying ss plates around the 8x8" size. I considered using this idea with 70 to 80 plates with a bridge recitifer and applying 120vac into the bridge and getting 112vdc out and dividing this by 1.5 volts/plate and getting approx 76 plates. This should control the heating issues. Any more thoughts on this idea.
    Bob Boyce started out with 101 plates with this design and concluded 81 plates was the magic number.This is only what I've read.

HydroFarmer Guest
    Yea I'm thinking this is the right direction for plate numbers. And I like the tero design Idea. I'm looking at end plates ideas using the catalog from US Plastics out of Lima Ohio.http://usplastics.com . Also adding a liquid level sight and auto fill control to let it operate continously. I'm still attempting to operate this on a stationary idea for a home heating purpose. Short of running the hho gas through a internal combustion engine. There's not much to do with it, maybe a rocket combustion chamber or turbine idea is possible.

midnight1957 Guest

Heating with hho

Hydrofarmer, I to am interested in your idea of heating with hho. I would like to heat my 1800 sq. ft. shop. Keep up your ideas about this and keep them posted.
    It seems like using 120 vac that amps should not be a problem, but what do I know about electricity.

Have a Blessed day,
    Wade

Quote Originally Posted by midnight1957 View Post
    Hydrofarmer, I to am interested in your idea of heating with hho. I would like to heat my 1800 sq. ft. shop. Keep up your ideas about this and keep them posted.
    It seems like using 120 vac that amps should not be a problem, but what do I know about electricity.

Have a Blessed day,
    Wade
    i agree that amps would not be a problem, however, keep in mind that at the rates we're being charged for electricity, there would come a point of diminishing returns...

still worth checking out though.. i'm very interested as well.