Thread: A Way To Test For 316l Stainless Steel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Way To Test For 316l Stainless Steel

With the many vendors selling hho generators popping up these days and with the costs of their units dropping due to increased competition.I'm wondering just how many may be using a lower grade of stainless steel instead of their claims of the use of 316L stainless,this would also have to include companys that sell just plates.I know what I had to pay for mine I got from a local sheet metal company when I was constructing my cell.

When purchasing a generator from a sellers site how do you know for sure you're getting what you paid for?Is there some way to test that can be easily done to insure that the products seller used 316L in construction as they've claimed.The old bait and switch routine in my opinion can easily be pulled off unless we can come with an easy and accurate way of testing it to be authentic.

If anyone has knowledge,insight or idea on how we can insure what we purchase is in fact what we receive please post it.

Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    With the many vendors selling hho generators popping up these days and with the costs of their units dropping due to increased competition.I'm wondering just how many may be using a lower grade of stainless steel instead of their claims of the use of 316L stainless,this would also have to include companys that sell just plates.I know what I had to pay for mine I got from a local sheet metal company when I was constructing my cell.

When purchasing a generator from a sellers site how do you know for sure you're getting what you paid for?Is there some way to test that can be easily done to insure that the products seller used 316L in construction as they've claimed.The old bait and switch routine in my opinion can easily be pulled off unless we can come with an easy and accurate way of testing it to be authentic.

If anyone has knowledge,insight or idea on how we can insure what we purchase is in fact what we receive please post it.
    well 316 shouldnt much if any magnetic.

and should never see rust or oxidization.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    well 316 shouldnt much if any magnetic.

and should never see rust or oxidization.
    I know my plates are 316L because 2 of them had the 316L ink stamp on them and I've noticed a little bit of what looks like rust on the plate edges that show on the outside of my Tero cell.But I've never seen any on the inside when I've taken it apart for cleaning and inspection.

Zymosan Guest
    You can do a chemical spot test on 304 vs. 316 ss. But what to use and where to get it I have no idea.

Super Fuel FX Guest
    Here's a test that I have thought about using myself, but just can't bring myself to pay that much for it...

Metal Test

Zymosan Guest
    I guess if you wanted an easy test, get two pieces you know are 304 and 316 then take a grinder to it and see if the color of the sparks is different.