Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flow analysis of a dry cell

Quote Originally Posted by Zymosan View Post
    Stu, I was wondering where do you want the input/output holes on your end plates? In the middle of the end piece or off to one side like the plates?
    Alternate each plate left to right.

With odd # of plates (15) they are in line unless we upside down one of them which I would like to try.

BoyntonStu

Zymosan Guest
    I was hoping to get you a picture up here today w/ the .025 spacing and the holes on the bottom, but it's been running for 2 hours and is only half way done. So I'll leave it on all night and post the pics in the morning.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Zymosan View Post
    I was hoping to get you a picture up here today w/ the .025 spacing and the holes on the bottom, but it's been running for 2 hours and is only half way done. So I'll leave it on all night and post the pics in the morning.
    Wow!

That TRS-80 is mighty slow.

Thanks, I eagerly await the results.

BoyntonStu

Zymosan Guest
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine how slow that would be on an older computer.
    Still didn't get the full version working so I ran this one on the freebie.
    The first one is done, but I'm not sure if I had the proper inlet/outlet conditions.
    The inlet was at 14" of head, or 6.06 psi. The outlet I had to put a gpm on, so I used 1gpm.
    The first shot is of the very 1st endplate.
    The second shot is a side view of it w/ the inlet on the right.
    The third shot is an isometric view, see how low that water is near the outlet?
    The fourth shot is a close up of the bottom holes.
    And the fifth shot is an iso. view of the bottom holes.

The darker the blue, the slower the flow. The darkest blue is 0in/second.
    The green is around 170 in/sec. And the yellow is around 250 in/sec.

Do your gaskets have a 90deg corner or are they cut w/ a radius?

Zymosan Guest
    You'll have to use your imagination as to where the plates are at. This version wont let me do and other view that this. So I had to hide all the gaskets, and most of the plates near the outlet just to get a better picture of the flow.

I'm going to try it again w/ the numbers I used in my flow tests just to see if it makes any difference.

Exclamation

The inlet was at 14" of head, or 6.06 psi. The outlet I had to put a gpm on, so I used 1gpm.
    The first shot is of the very 1st endplate.
    The second shot is a side view of it w/ the inlet on the right.
    The third shot is an isometric view, see how low that water is near the outlet?
    The fourth shot is a close up of the bottom holes. NO BOTTOM HOLES

See this video.

Amoeba Cell Water flow through 1/4" tubing
    A garden hose is connected to the Amoeba Cell. There are 15 2x6 plates with a single 1/4" hole in each, and with 0.050" inner tube gaskets.

The holes on the end plates are centered, but a unit has been built with all holes left or right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5al4_6a2-0o

Do your gaskets have a 90deg corner or are they cut w/ a radius?

Presently 90*, a change to a radius is easily done.

We are getting somewhere.

Since the Amoeba Cell current is constant and efficient, it seems to indicate that all the area is generating without dry sections.

This project is bottomless! LOL

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

Question Any Progress?

You have been quiet for a few days.

How is the code coming?

BoyntonStu

This confirms something I've suspected for a while, current is concentrated on the shortest path through our cells. This is a problem that needs an answer, better MMW will surely be the result.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    I figured this might shed some light on what is going on in a dry cell. This is a picture of one of the neutral plates near the back of the cell. This is on the negative side of the neutral plate.

What is it telling you????
    Shane,

Nice photo, thanks.

My first impression is that the angle cuts at the top of the plate served no purpose.

If we eliminate the bottom hole, as I have done in the Amoeba Cell, we would also eliminate the dark vertical stripe.

Why vertical? Why not an angle?

It seems that a high current density caused the dark stripe.

The clear area above the top hole indicates that the foam prevented electrolysis.

Th question remains; "What was the efficiency loss (or gain) that caused the stripe?"

I wish that I could contribute more.

BoyntonStu

It looks to me that the favourable current path is simply input hole to nearest output hole, hence the stronger stripe from higher current electrolysis.

The EBN guys, btw, are working on a new design of dry cell that is very interesting. The plates (without holes) are suspended in gaskets that feed in from the bottom (through the gaskets) and gas exits out the top of the gasket past a pattern of + shapes (offset to prevent splashing). Fluid level is maintained by slits in the top of the gasket sides, which allow the fluid to flow out and back down to the feed. Effectively, the top of the cell is open, but electrolyte cannot get up that far. A manifold system is used boh to feed electrolyte and to collect HHO. MMW's in excess of 7 have been quoted.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO