Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we get a consensus?

coffeeachiever Guest

Can we get a consensus?

I have spent the past eleven months studying electrolosis. I have built nine generators ranging from fender washers and wall plates in a wet cell to my latest (which is finally good enough to install) 21 plate EBN style dry cell. I have read nearly every word on this forum(I know most of you like neighbors) and a lot of some others. I am a self declared expert on HHO and I still am unsure of the best place to put my output hose on my truck. Is it the breather, pcv valve, EGR line.......? Does it just depend on the vehicle? If it matters, I'm installing in an '86 Toyota pick up with a carb. I'm putting out between 2 and 3 lpm depending on which wiring configuration I use.
    I'm doing the install in the morning and I guess I'll be trying the breather housing first unless someone can give me a reason to go another route.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Coffee

HHOinKY Guest
    Air intake seems to be the most accepted safe injection point. Vacuum lines are no good because of the potential of sucking in stuff you don't want to.

I haven't installed mine yet, but this is just from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by HHOinKY View Post
    Air intake seems to be the most accepted safe injection point. Vacuum lines are no good because of the potential of sucking in stuff you don't want to.

I haven't installed mine yet, but this is just from what I've read.
    I concur.

since yours is carbureted though, you only need to go into the intake air stream between the filter and the carb.

you'll also need to adjust your A/F ratio to lower the amount of fuel used ( i believe )

most people use PCV or vacuum in order to (allegedly) bypass or eliminate the need for electronic mods as the ECU (allegedly) doesn't 'see' the HHO if it's piped in through vacuum. And this is based on what I've read on several forums.

I hope this helps
    mike

mikem1977 Guest

Hey Coffee

Glad to see im not the only one playing with a carb. Mine is a 89 2wd yota with carb. My present test cell is a smacks cell in a different style container. Being winter and all its tough to get the cell up to temp to actually put out some descent gas, im still screwing with quite a bit. I just installed a cheapy pwm and an anaolg ammter in my cab so I can keep an eye on things. I originally ran my hho into the top of the air cleaner where the valve cover vents, last week I made up a little nipple/tube and drilled out the air cleaner cover directly over the "primary" carb throat, thats where all the vacuum is coming from. Anyhow, I dont think im making enough gas to really do much, only about 300ml when its cold and it usually only goes on short runs. I would try it where the valve cover vents and dont touch the carb until you get some fuel through it. IM excited to see some results!...keep us posted...MIke

Super Fuel FX Guest
    I think that mikem has a good location for it... straight to the center of the earth... I mean carb...

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
    I concur.

since yours is carbureted though, you only need to go into the intake air stream between the filter and the carb.

you'll also need to adjust your A/F ratio to lower the amount of fuel used ( i believe )

most people use PCV or vacuum in order to (allegedly) bypass or eliminate the need for electronic mods as the ECU (allegedly) doesn't 'see' the HHO if it's piped in through vacuum. And this is based on what I've read on several forums.

I hope this helps
    mike
    Thanks guys for confirming that. Trial and error sucks arse. It's much better to ask.
    Mike's comment about the a/f ratio brings me to my next question.
    If I'm piping the HHO directly to the carb, then aren't I bypassing all that anyway?
    By the way, I'm getting around 25 mpg without HHO. I do a fair amount of driving so I'll be able to post results with just HHO and no mods in two or three days. The old truck has almost 300,000 miles on it and it's still kickin' like a chickin.

Coffee

mikem1977 Guest

.....my understanding

Here is my understanding of the whole hho increasing fuel mileage.... in the shortest explanation as possible..... You add hho to your fuel mixture which allows you to lean the mixture down and not hurt the motor.....Pretty simple sounding I think. Now what ive heard is that by introducing the hho your burn is much cleaner and more complete...so...in theory, with a carburetor...you should be able to add the hho...provided its a sufficient amount...to your engine, without leaning down the carb, now..... when your driving you shouldnt need to step on the throtlle quite so hard to get the same output from you engine therefore saving you fuel!

As far as cutting back the fuel with a stock carb on the yota there is not much you can do from what I understand as far as rejetting goes, you could mess with the idle mixture but that wont do anything once your "off idle"...I could go on and on....so my idea is to test this with NO mods to the carb, I should see some results. Ive had this little truck for a year and have kept track of every tank of gas...so If I get anything better than 26mpg something is working. There is the option of an aftermarket weber carb, then you could go crazy playing with jetting and different amounts of HHO, as long as you dont overlean the engine..that would be bad

If your making 2+ lpm it should do something when you introduce it to the engine...what kind of amps is that cell gonna draw to make that? Ive read that the yota alternator can only sustain about 30A constant max of 60A?...keep us posted. I think my biggest problem is im not making enough gas...im looking into going to a dry cell, just not sure which way to go!...Mike

coffeeachiever Guest
    Mikem1977 those are my thoughts exactly. I'm getting 2-3 liters easy just running the unit off my battery with jumper cables. Only getting around 10-11 volts to the cell that way. Not sure about amps yet, but I'll let you know. Trust me when I tell you that a dry cell is the way to go. I have no more heat issues and this thing really puts out the gas. When I get it hooked up and pulling 13-14 volts I'll post the measurements.
    The problem I'm having now is Lowe's has stopped selling Roebic because people are making crystal meth with it. I don't quite have enough left to fill my cell back up so.....
    Coffee

mikem1977 Guest

man...

thats alot of gas...real curious to see what your amp draw is...like I said the yota's little alternator supposedly doesnt put out all that much and even pulling 15 amps the rpms drop a bit. Id try a place that sells supplies for making soap, they usually carry it, you can get it online as well, is your unit installed yet? Id like to know if when the hho is hooked up and the truck is running do you get an icrease in rpm?....keep me posted...Mike

coffeeachiever Guest

Answers

To answer your questions--I did not get it hooked up today because I spent my entire afternoon hunting down electrolyte. I finally found it at Tractor Supply Co.
    I am bench testing the new generator as I type this on the iPhone. It has been running for about an hour now on jumper cables going straight to my battery. I'm at 9.86 volts and drawing between 8 and 12 amps. The amps are fluctuating wildly- I'm guessing because it is a circulating system. I'm just using gravity right now, but i'm considering trying a pump later.
    The unit is producing just under 2lpm. The top of the cell is between 80 and 90 degrees (educated guess.)
    I'll be using a much bigger resivior tank when I install it, so temperature should be a non issue.
    I get off work at 2 tomorrow and I am racing straight to the house to slap this baby on the truck. I'll do a volume test before I pipe it into the intake since it'll be pulling more voltage from the alternator.
    As soon as I get some figures I'll post them.
    Coffee