Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we get a consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by mikem1977 View Post
    Here is my understanding of the whole hho increasing fuel mileage.... in the shortest explanation as possible..... You add hho to your fuel mixture which allows you to lean the mixture down and not hurt the motor.....Pretty simple sounding I think. Now what ive heard is that by introducing the hho your burn is much cleaner and more complete...so...in theory, with a carburetor...you should be able to add the hho...provided its a sufficient amount...to your engine, without leaning down the carb, now..... when your driving you shouldnt need to step on the throtlle quite so hard to get the same output from you engine therefore saving you fuel!

As far as cutting back the fuel with a stock carb on the yota there is not much you can do from what I understand as far as rejetting goes, you could mess with the idle mixture but that wont do anything once your "off idle"...I could go on and on....so my idea is to test this with NO mods to the carb, I should see some results. Ive had this little truck for a year and have kept track of every tank of gas...so If I get anything better than 26mpg something is working. There is the option of an aftermarket weber carb, then you could go crazy playing with jetting and different amounts of HHO, as long as you dont overlean the engine..that would be bad
    I agree with the testing aspect. Shouldn't need to adjust a/f mixture with a carb, however I believe you'll need to in order to get results.. or i should say, you'll want to in order to get BETTER results..

not modding the carb at all and adding HHO WILL yield some results by you not pushing on the gas to achieve the desired effect, however you'll be able to reduce the fuel consumption by installing a fuel pressure regulator and dial down the amount of fuel entering the carb. (and this is just an idea.. I don't know toyotas that well, but if there's no real air fuel adjustment, this could be another way to reduce the amount of fuel going into the carb.

just my 2 cents.
    all these ways are worth a try for sure.

mike

coffeeachiever Guest
    Sounds like a good idea DaddyMikey. For budgetary reasons I'll have to try it with no mods first. I just dropped $600 on custom cut ss plates and neoprene gaskets. My credit card is smoking. Unless someone comes up with a reason not to, I'll try the fuel pressure regulator in a couple of weeks.

mikem1977 Guest

I totally agree that cutting back the fuel would be necessary to see BETTER results, i do believe that you should see some without. AS far as a fuel pressure regulator cutting back the fuel delivered.... I dont see how that would do much. With my experience...and im no carb expert, the fuel pressure is set to keep fuel in the float bowl, too much pressure.... it will push past the needle valve overflowing the float bowl and dumping excess fuel into the intake....as long as theres fuel in the float bowl, the carb is still gonna deliver what its gonna deliver based on air flow and jet size, someone please correct me if im wrong. The only way that I know of to lean a carb down is with smaller jets. If I could actually see some solid results I would without a DOUBT spend the money on a new weber carb, get a nice selection of jets, a high output alternator, a cell that can crank out some nice volume of hho and see whats possible..I just want to see some results so I can find some more incentive.....coffee, you got any pics of your setup and its layout? IM gonna build one!....

Quote Originally Posted by mikem1977 View Post
    I totally agree that cutting back the fuel would be necessary to see BETTER results, i do believe that you should see some without. AS far as a fuel pressure regulator cutting back the fuel delivered.... I dont see how that would do much. With my experience...and im no carb expert, the fuel pressure is set to keep fuel in the float bowl, too much pressure.... it will push past the needle valve overflowing the float bowl and dumping excess fuel into the intake....as long as theres fuel in the float bowl, the crab is still gonna deliver what its gonna deliver based on air flow and jet size, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The only way that I know of to lean a crab down is with smaller jets. If I could actually see some solid results I would without a DOUBT spend the money on a new weber crab, get a nice selection of jets, a high output alternator, a cell that can crank out some nice volume of Ho and see whats possible..I just want to see some results so I can find some more incentive.....coffee, you got any pics of your setup and its layout? I'M gonna build one!....
    Changing the jet will give the best results you must lean out the main jets and the idle. The best results would be to change the main jets buy 2 to 4 numbers. Jets can be hard to find for stock cabs so a way to cheat this is to lower the float level. I would try to go 1 to 2 sixtieths at a time. a fuel pressure regulator will not help unless your needle and seat are going bad.

coffeeachiever Guest
    Mikem1977, my computer is down with a virus and I'm posting everything with my iPhone. I can however email pics with the phone if you want to pm me your email address. I even have an extra plate and gasket so you can see what they look like outside the cell. I'll also let you know what I've learned from this and what I'll do different next time so you're cell can be better than what mine is.
    I can send pre and post install pics tomorrow afternoon.

Coffee

coffeeachiever Guest
    Also, if you are able, you are welcome to post the pics to this thread.

Coffee

mikem1977 Guest

sounds good man. pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by crewdog View Post
    a fuel pressure regulator will not help unless your needle and seat are going bad.
    I humbly stand corrected :-)

(and that's why i'm not a mechanic)

mike

mikem1977 Guest

Ya know thats whats cool about these forums, lots of people working toward the same things....two heads are always better than one...
    Crewdog...how does lowering the float level change the amount of fuel delivered? ..by lowering the float level you are keeping less fuel in the bowl correct?....I wish more people were working on carb'd engines

coffeeachiever Guest

Finally installed

I finally got the thing put on my truck about 11:00 last night. I e mailed mikem1977 the pics this morning and he said he would be kind enough to post them here for me. Thanks mike.
    I'll fill up my tank when I get off work today and start keeping track.

Coffee