Thread: Battery life question

overtaker Guest

Battery life question

Which fully charged batteries would last the longest? 1. Two 12v. batteries hooked in parallel running something at 20amps. or 2. Two 12v. batteries hooked in series ( making it 24v. ) running something at 10amps? Assuming all batteries are equal. Thanks.

Super Fuel FX Guest
    I would gander that the batteries pulling less amperage would last longer. When you leave a dome light on, it takes quite a while to drain the battery. When you leave your lights on (they draw more amps) the battery dies a lot faster.

overtaker Guest
    True but the watt usage is exactly the same in my scenario.

The batterys would discharge exactly the same.

The current being drawn in each situation is 10 amps per battery.

Super Fuel FX Guest
    True, but the amperage is different, per the 2 scenarios given to us by overtaker - one runs 10 amps, the other runs 20 amps. Does this not make a difference?

Both are the same. That said I just went to the local battery outlet last week with the same question. I wanted to run tests with higher amp output than my DC power supply will allow. I came away with 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. Hooked in series the 6 volt batteries have way more amp hours than you can acheive with any set up using 12 volt batteries. With the same size casings the 6 volt batteries have 3 cells storing energy instead of the 6 cells in a 12 volt battery. More lead in a barrery is more stored energy. Also if you are fully discharging the battery then recharging it the golf cart batteries have a far longer life.