Thread: My latest cell

My latest cell

Well finally got me dry cell built thanks to Painless, Stu, and a lot of others with your ideas. Have 11 plates, 2 1/2 X 10 1/2 with 2 X 10 exposed to the electralite due to the 1/4" gaskets. Have them set up +nnnn-nnnn plus. My plus key quit working, dog gonnit. Anyway with it on my 01 Dodge Cummins it's producing 2 liter in 55 seconds at 30 amps. Just got it installed today so it'll be awhile before I know if I'm doing any good or not.

My 98 cummins gained 4mpg with just 1lpm. Can't wait to see what yours does. What thickness are your gaskets?

Gaskets are .040 and my plates are .020....Used the same gasket material painless used, the shower or tube underlayment. Got it at Homedepot by the foot. Let this cell run for 12 hrs. off of a battery at 13 1/2 volts. Didn't have a single leak which I was really surprised but thankful. Tighten the nut up on the lockwasher just as they were starting to compress.

Well, I left home on Jan. 6, outside temp. around 45 deg. Ran about 150 miles getting me down to South Carolina with the temps around 55 degs. Generator temp was 98 deg. and my mileage running between 13 and 14 mpg. The mileage computer hit 14 a couple of times on the average. My normal average pulling my rv is 11.5 to 12 mpg so I was really getting excited. Stopped in Walterboro, S.C. to top off my tank, outside temp pushing 65 degs and mileage starting to drop. When I stopped in St. Mary's Ga. for the night, I got out and notice fluid leaking. When I stopped the outside temp was 78 deg. and my gen temp was 135 degs and the gen was leaking like crazy out the bottom. Guess it shorted and burn a gasket. Haven't been up to taking it off and checking it out yet. Most likely wait until I get back home next month to tear it down. By the way, I didn't have a PWM on it. Was getting some good results until the temps started climbing and my gen temps ran up too high I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinablue View Post
    Well finally got me dry cell built thanks to Painless, Stu, and a lot of others with your ideas. Have 11 plates, 2 1/2 X 10 1/2 with 2 X 10 exposed to the electralite due to the 1/4" gaskets. Have them set up +nnnn-nnnn plus. My plus key quit working, dog gonnit. Anyway with it on my 01 Dodge Cummins it's producing 2 liter in 55 seconds at 30 amps. Just got it installed today so it'll be awhile before I know if I'm doing any good or not.

The shower pan gaskets are pvc and someone posted that they degrade at 140*f. What size are your inlet and outlet holes in your plates?

coffeeachiever Guest
    I may be off base, but one thing that concerned me was the width of your gaskets. 1/4" just isn't very much. I know your plates are smaller and you want as much surface area as possible, so it is kind of a catch 22.
    My thinking (and that's just what it is, my thinking), is that if you torque unevenly against gaskests that narrow, you will create a weak point in the side or end with less torque.
    That may or may not be your problem, that's just what's going through my mind.
    Let us know what you figure out.