Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applied a bath cell to Saturn SL2 + results

Smiley Guest

Applied a bath cell to Saturn SL2 + results

I used the information from this site to create my first cell.

First cell: 6 SS plates (2.5" X 6") configured +-+-+- enclosed in a 4" ABS tube. Electrolyte was a 50/50 mix of distilled water and distilled white viniger. I netted very little production (approximatley .25 lpm). I went ahead and installed it in my car anyway for one tank of gas. After 300 miles I netted 32 mpg @ 75 mph.

I removed the system and drove the car for one tank of gas without the HHO device while I redesigned it. I netted 30 mpg @ 75 mph. Not enough to conclude a difference.

I changed my electrolyte to distilled water and baking soda. It lasted one second and blew my 30 amp fuse. I reconfigured the cell adding one more plate: + N - N + N -. Wires stayed cool as well as the solution. Production increased to approximately 1 lpm. I installed it back into my car and drove 300 miles. Again, I netted 32 mpg.

Shouldn't 1 lpm make a significant difference for a 1.9 liter engine?

My next experiment was to unhook the oxygen sensor with and without the device. That should allow the computer to default to a set air fuel mixture regardless of the hydrogen input.

The big question is will this hurt my car? Anyone else try this?

The Saturn is an OBDII 1996 with 156k.

Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

First cell: 6 SS plates (2.5" X 6") configured +-+-+- enclosed in a 4" ABS tube. Electrolyte was a 50/50 mix of distilled water and distilled white viniger. I netted very little production (approximatley .25 lpm). I went ahead and installed it in my car anyway for one tank of gas. After 300 miles I netted 32 mpg @ 75 mph.

I removed the system and drove the car for one tank of gas without the HHO device while I redesigned it. I netted 30 mpg @ 75 mph. Not enough to conclude a difference.

I changed my electrolyte to distilled water and baking soda. It lasted one second and blew my 30 amp fuse. I reconfigured the cell adding one more plate: + N - N + N -. Wires stayed cool as well as the solution. Production increased to approximately 1 lpm. I installed it back into my car and drove 300 miles. Again, I netted 32 mpg.

My next experiment was to unhook the oxygen sensor with and without the device. That should allow the computer to default to a set air fuel mixture regardless of the hydrogen input.

Thanks for any input.
    Not good. If you unplug the O2 sensor, it will cause the engine computer (ECU) to go into "open loop" mode, since it will think the sensor has failed. Open loop is designed to keep the engine operating within a specific set of pre-designated parameters to prevent damage in the event of one or more failed components. This prevents catastrophic engine failure when it is not receiving the required input from sensor(s) and allows you to drive until repair can be done, however is not good in terms of MPG. I would advise using an EFIE device, to modify the signal from the oxygen sensor to compensate for the increased combustion efficiency brought about from the induction of HHO into the engine. The HHO used without the EFIE will produce results like you noticed (1-3 MPG increase) in the beginning, until the engine computer adapts to the increased presence of oxygen in the air fuel mixture, and will upgrade the fuel output to compensate since it will think the engine is running lean. In order to trick the ECM into cutting back the fuel, and realize significant gains, you'll need to modify the O2 sensors signal. On that engine, you should be able to really boost mileage once you have the system dialed in. Good luck!

Thanks for any input.
    Your similar results are because as you add more HHO you will get more oxygen in your exhaust stream causing the ECM to richen your air fuel sensor mixture. Do not unplug your O2 sensor. You will naturally get better fuel economy with the sensor functioning then without. Unplugged your ECM will go into closed loop (limp mode) your car will run full rich. Any test results would be tainted.

Smiley Guest
    Thanks for the reply folks. I realize my MPG would suffer but it would be a sure fire way to see if the mpg increases with the HHO without any input from the ECM. I realize that leaning out the mixture will increase mpg regardless of the HHO. How much is the question. I want to be able to prove to myself that this system works before I go out and spend more money.

So many folks claim this to be a scam. I just want to prove it for myself that it is not.

Smiley Guest
    Is there a way to manipulate the oxygen sensor to force it to a lean condition?

HHOinKY Guest
    Take spark-plug non-foulers, drill them out and space the 02 sensor away from the exhaust.

Another very cheap way to manipulate your sensor would be to build and install a poor mans EFIE:

2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Smiley Guest
    Thanks for both of the ideas!

I will give them a try (or one at least). Anyone heard of wrapping the sensor in foil? From what I have read you wrap the external part. How does this work and has anyone tried it?

You should also consider usind Sodium Hydroxide instead of baking soda. Baking soda will eat up your plates in short order.

Also make sure you're using a bubbler or flash arrestor.

mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

From what I have heard, this makes the o2 sensor heat and stay heated, which throws it into one if its loops, can't remember which. I did this with mine, no difference noticed. The o2 spacer idea is that the outflow of exhaust will create a vacuum around the o2 sensor, and it will read more o2, and thinking its running rich, will lean out the engine. I would suggest the efie though.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen