Thread: Understanding concept of dry cell

Robahr24 Guest

Understanding concept of dry cell

I have been away from this forums for a few months. I am confused about this dry cell and how it works. I am guessing the wet cell were the first hho systems made where as you take the plates, put them in the box or tube, and add the lye and water together. I see that the dry cells push the water and such through the plates. How does this work and what are the benefits for it? Does it produce more hho with less amps? Also what is MMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Robahr24 View Post
    I have been away from this forums for a few months. I am confused about this dry cell and how it works. I am guessing the wet cell were the first hho systems made where as you take the plates, put them in the box or tube, and add the lye and water together. I see that the dry cells push the water and such through the plates. How does this work and what are the benefits for it? Does it produce more hho with less amps? Also what is MMW.
    A dry cell works by the electrolyte flowing through the plates. The plates are separated by gaskets which a) Keep them the required distance apart from each other and b) Keep the electrolyte within the plates.

A pump can be used, but is not needed. The flow of electrolyte between the cell and the reservoir will help to cool down the cell. The typical benefits of a dry cell over a wet cell are:

1) More efficient due to less current leakage around the plates.

2) Thermal runaway is less of a problem, it is possible to produce a correctly configured dry cell that will sit at a particular temperature.

3) Dry cells are more compact than an equivalent capacity wet cell, they take up less space.

MMW stands for millilitres per minute per watt, it is a measurement of efficiency with a higher number indicating a more efficient cell than a lower number.

How do you calculate it?

Let's say we have a cell operating at 14 volts and drawing 20 amps of current to produce 2 litres per minute of HHO:

14 (volts) x 20 (amps) = 280 (watts of power used)
    2 (lpm) x 1,000 = 2,000 milliliters of HHO per minute
    2,000 / 280 (watts) = 7.14 millilitres of HHO per minute per watt of power.

Hence, 7.14 is our MMW.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Robahr24 Guest
    Okay, now what are the disadvantages to the system? Are these dry cells more prone to leaking though?

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Robahr24 View Post
    Okay, now what are the disadvantages to the system? Are these dry cells more prone to leaking though?
    I torqued all the nuts around my dry cell to 10 in. lbs and have never had a leak.
    Russ

My dry cell has 20 nuts and bolts with lock washers. I just tightened mind until the lock washers started to compress. Haven't had any leaks yet on mine.

coffeeachiever Guest
    It is important to use the right gasket material to prevent leaks. Most of us have had the best luck with neoprene. I use 70 durometer 1/16".

Robahr24 Guest
    Is the cost more to build them, I can't make up my mind of just doing a simple wet cell system like plumbobs or doing a dry cell. Is hooking them up the same as a wet cell?

Also is it easy to made 2 LPM, can somebody give me a thread of a good efficient system that makes about 2 LPM at low amps, preferably around 18?

Check out Painless experiment in HHO. Your best bet for a crapload of info.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
    Check out Painless experiment in HHO. Your best bet for a crapload of info.
    True. That thread is a must read for anyone that wants to build their own system. Just be prepared to spend a few days reading. If you want a quick visual of a good dry cell, check out the EBN website. Then read Painless' thread so you can avoid all the costly mistakes and wasted time.