Thread: wide band o2 substitute for narrow band o2

alpha-dog Guest

wide band o2 substitute for narrow band o2

I was thinking that one of my larger limitations to tunning my Dodge Ram is the narrow band o2's give useless information any time the sensors drive outside there narrow range. This probably confuses the PCM into overleaning the fuel. At this point an EFIE offset voltage has no effect. If a wideband o2 could be substituted for the narrow band and work correctly then it would have a larger range and the EFIE offset voltage would work better. I don't know if this is even a concern for me. Is there any knowledge or idea's on this subject?
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    I was thinking that one of my larger limitations to tunning my Dodge Ram is the narrow band o2's give useless information any time the sensors drive outside there narrow range. This probably confuses the PCM into overleaning the fuel. At this point an EFIE offset voltage has no effect. If a wideband o2 could be substituted for the narrow band and work correctly then it would have a larger range and the EFIE offset voltage would work better. I don't know if this is even a concern for me. Is there any knowledge or idea's on this subject?
    Russ
    I am no expert but I do know that the ECM is expecting to see a voltage in a certain range. Narrow band O2's run 0 to 1 volt. All the ECM decisions are made with that info. Wide band O2's send out a wider rande of voltage. Your ECM would not know what to do. You would get a CEL and go into limp mode.

What we need is a circuit that will take the output from the wideband and translate it into narrowband current.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

alpha-dog Guest
    I thought there was a wide band that could work like the narrow band. Maybe in racing or something.
    Russ