Thread: 4ft. tube design question

overtaker Guest

4ft. tube design question

If you had 2volts. hooked up to 2 pipes ( one inside of the other ) that were 4ft. long, would you get more gas by hooking the power up at different ends? Would there be more current hooking the power up at different ends? Just curious.

overtaker Guest
    Any EE's want to take a stab at it?

well lets see your volts may be 2 but the current is going to be a wooper ...
    and you only got 2 pipes 1 + 1- so putting the power at either end would make no diff
    HHOinventions.com

overtaker Guest
    I was thinking the current would take the path of least resistance and skip across much easier if they were connected on the same side, not doing all the work it could if it had to travel all the way to the other end. Am I wrong?

fisher Guest
    Im a bit confused regarding what you are wanting to do. + and - to opposite ends of the same pipe, no, that is a short. + to one pipe and - to the other. Will work. Doesn't matter which end of the pipe, middle of the pipe, or both ends of the pipe, all will work the same. Metal is a conductor. If you have 12 volts on one end of a piece of metal, you will without fail have the same 12 volts on the other end. Hooking to both ends is a waste of wire.

There are some valid arguments regarding a long wire losing some voltage from one end to the other, but a 4 foot metal pipe will have the same voltage all over it, and does not need two connections to that voltage in order to be equally energized.

Your are gonna have a TON of current. Might try straight distilled first, then slowly add minute amounts of electrolyte. Lots of surface area conducting over to the next plate.

overtaker Guest
    Two volts, high current....hmmmm. Isn't that what Nasa does? I understand the pipe would show the same voltage across it but I was mostly inquiring about the current. If the power is hooked up to different ends then it has no choice but to travel the entire 4ft. If the power is hooked up to the same end then does most of the current jump across near the leads and therefore not doing the work it could? Fisher, I'm not referring to having two pos. connections on the same pipe and two neg. on the other pipe. Will the extra travel of the current produce more gas? Thanks for the replies!

Why 4' long? You would have some resistive current drop across the length of the pipe which could lead to inefficiency. The HHO formed at the bottom of the pipe would need to go up and out and would at some point along the way displace the electrolysis process. A perforated outer pipe might help this. I've tried a 4" pipe design. My results; Generally speaking, it sucks as a brute force design. But...If you had small pipe diameters, inner & outer pipes (outer negative) and "mechanically pumped" the electrolyte through the pipe configuration. ( Could look like a heat exchanger core, as an example.) At the end of the horizontal pipe config would be a pipe tee connector. The excess water not converted would flow down and back into a reservoir to be repumped and the HHO would flow up to where ever you want it to go. Sort of like the dry cells, but NOT. The water flow would keep the HHO flowing, reduce heat, change current flow characteristics, etc. The metering pump could be found at aquarium supply stores? Has anyone messed with type of design? I'm sure its been tried somewhere in the world. Just thought of; pulsing a windshield washer fluid pump (low duty cycle design) with a hazard light flasher for the pumping set-up...you come up with the rest.

fisher Guest
    Current is the flow of electrons. Voltage is a force that causes electrons to flow. So, if you have two pipes, with voltage between them, the voltage will cause current to flow in the electrolyte between the pipes. Doesn't matter where the wires are hooked up. At one end, there is a force of voltage, which is the same force (same voltage) at the other end. This force will create X amount of current (flow) through the electrolyte at any point between the pipes.

Think of a water tank, elevated above the floor ten feet. If you have a 2 inch pipe leaving the bottom of the tank, with a small (half inch) water valve screwed into the side of that pipe just as it leaves the tank; and you run the 2 inch pipe down and then across the floor for another 50 feet and put another half inch valve on the end of it. Turn on either valve and measure the flow and it will be the same. Same amount of pressure on both valves.

Now, if your pipe were much smaller and introduced resistance to the flow of water, that would be another matter.

Since voltage is pressure, it does not matter where the voltage is applied. It is just a pressure (force) that causes electrons to move (current). Since you have the voltage connected to a pipe; the pipe is a substancial enough amount of metal that it will introduce no resistance to the circuit, meaning that you will have the same flow at either end of the pipe.

clear as mud.

Fisher, I agree with your basic electricity analogy. Comparing water flow as electricity flow is very fitting.
    When I look at what it might involve to get a working 4' long pipe cell to work well a few questions I have ask myself. 1. Where is the water coming from to displace the bubbles created by the electrolysis. My experiments with pipes / tubes says there must be an up and a down if the HHO is causing the flow. HHO flows to the up side of the pipe of course. 2. At what point in the tube / pipe is there more gas than water and what does that do to the electrolysis process at that point & above. My guess is that without water to split you gets no HHO's. A 4' pipe might actually be only electrolyzing 1', then 3' of the pipe would be filled with the escaping gas. Lots of variables on this one...but very interesting.
    Randohr
    02' Jeep; 18mpg Highway w/o HHO
    23mpg highway w/ HHO.
    Parallel plate water baths, 3vdc, 16A
    Efies(x4), MAP diode, AIT mod, WTS mod.