Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $30 dollar cell, for tight budgets

$30 dollar cell, for tight budgets

Figured I'd post this, because if your like me on a tight budget, this can satisfy your HHO needs until you get enough of to go tackle that dry cell. This will cost 30-50 dollars depending on what you have already

You need
    -A jar. Dollar general I get them for about 2.50
    Everything else can be found at Lowes
    -Goop. About 5 bucks depending on size
    -7 Lowes 304 ss wall plates. 1.59 ea
    -2 knylon bolts, 2 stainless steel bolts, 2 ss washers, 4 rubber washers, 2 or 4 ss nuts, and optional wingnuts. All this is like 6 bucks
    -A plastic valve. 2.50
    -One sheet plumbers pack thin. 1.00

Basically, you cut the plumbers pack to space your plates, however you like. I cut a little 1/4 by 1 inch strap and place one on each side between plates. After completing top assembly( basically drill 2 holes and stick the bolts and such through, rubber washers against the lid) you connect the plates via the knylon bolts. the cells are suspended by some sort of ss strap. this is where you haev to get creative, as I had leftover SS. Perhaps a knylon zip tie to just hold it. Attach the leads to the ends of the knylon bolt. Then drill out your valve hole, goop the valve, stick it in there and you good to go. I'm sure this is vague, as its late right now. heres a pic
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

HHOinKY Guest
    output? heat? amps?

O K first I know everyone says don't use glass, but I have had no problems with it. And the lid is plastics, so in case of a explosion the top just blows off and no major harm done. Second, It runs around 18 amps when the car is running, don't know about heat because I don't have a way of measuring it, and it produces about 1 LPM. Like I said it isn't dry cell quality, but you can tweak and mod it to produce pretty well.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

I built this one for 65 bucks. It will do 2lpm@28amps at a temp of 128*F. I know it cost a little more but it is better than glass.

Yea I need to order some straight plates, so I can finish my dry cell. The angled edges were messin me up. If you can afford it, deffinitly go with the dry one. How much did the "walls" cost and what is it?
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

That is a pic of the cell I did with switch plates from lowes. I flattened the plates. The end plates are hdpe from walmart. They are cutting board and cost me 10 dollars for a large sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    That is a pic of the cell I did with switch plates from lowes. I flattened the plates. The end plates are hdpe from walmart. They are cutting board and cost me 10 dollars for a large sheet.
    nice looking cell. what did you use to cut the cutting board, they look perfect.

I just used a regular hand saw, The hdpe cuts and drills really easy.

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    How did you flatten the plates?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    How did you flatten the plates?
    At first I started out with a 30 ton press and that worked but didn't completely flatten them out. Then I just started using a hammer on an anvil and that really worked better. After about five plates you get the hang of it and in about 30min. they were all flat. You keep stacking them up to make sure they are flat to the previous plate and don't take them out of order. You end up with a pretty straight set of plates.