Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge virus

Huge virus

Howdy guys, not about hho but everyone needs to know about this. This was sent to me by a friend of mine.

HUGE VIRUS COMING

Code:
    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
    Hi All, checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus. I checked Snopes (URL above, and it is for real.

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to let all your contacts know about this. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

Well I just got this back from another friend. Still wouldn't hurt to be alert.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...card_virus.htm

IronBear Guest
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/emailh...p/postcard.htm

Good hearted people are always the victims in this type of thing...

always good to post a heads up .thanks
    HHOinventions.com

Another good reason...

This is just another reason why I run Linux instead of Microsoft Windows on my computers.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    This is just another reason why I run Linux instead of Microsoft Windows on my computers.
    Amen Linux brother.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

triple88a Guest
    linux doesnt get viruses? why not?

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
    I also use Linux and it does get some virus but in the last four years I've had one and most poeple get none. Virus's are made to run on Windows.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
    Two reasons stick out:

1.) Marketshare... More people use Windows so there are more viruses (virii?) written against it. The people who write viruses are looking for personal information. The average windows users is not very bright when it comes to keeping personal information secure. The average Linux users tend to be more security conscious. Very much a supply and demand thing.

2.) Built in security/stability... Linux is based on Unix, which is used in the big iron around the world (Mac OS X is also based on BSD Unix). Linux also has the advantage of millions of eyes looking at the source code. Microsoft only allows a few hundred people to look at their code. As a result, any bugs found in Linux tend to be quickly fixed. Viruses are written such that they exploit some bug in the software. If all of your bugs get fixed quickly it is hard to write a virus that affects it.

If you want to try out Linux, there are a number of "Live" CD/DVD's available. A Live CD allows you to boot up into Linux without saving anything to your hard drive. Then all you have to do is reboot to get back into windows Currently Ubuntu seems to be the most popular, I use a version called Fedora. It really doesn't matter what version you use as once it is installed all versions of Linux are basically the same.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Something else worthy of note about Linux is that the operating system itself is free. However, one of the biggest advantages is that there is a huge wealth of software and applications out there which are developed under the same open source policy and which are also free of charge.

I've been using Linux both at home and at work since the very early beta days of the Kernel. As q-hack rightfully pointed out, whenever I have come across a bug, its been fixed relatively quickly.

My personal favourite is Ubuntu Linux. There is a learning curve when switching to Linux, but it is very much worth the effort, plus, there is a huge user community ready to help you with the transition.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO