Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge virus

well i grabbed a live CD for my wife and myself, burned them and booted with them.

Ubuntu, seems to be enough 'computing' to just work and windows is all about looking pretty and it kindaworks LOL...

there are a few applicationsthat i need to find linux versions of or a compatible linux equivalent.. eMule, convertXtoDVD and Total video converter... Also something to stream media to my PS3 would benice, I currently use TVersity and Orb for this....

any ideas??
    thanks
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
    well i grabbed a live CD for my wife and myself, burned them and booted with them.

Ubuntu, seems to be enough 'computing' to just work and windows is all about looking pretty and it kindaworks LOL...

there are a few applicationsthat i need to find linux versions of or a compatible linux equivalent.. eMule, convertXtoDVD and Total video converter... Also something to stream media to my PS3 would benice, I currently use TVersity and Orb for this....

any ideas??
    thanks
    mike

Well... there is an emule program for linux... I have never used it, so no promises.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmule/

For your ConvertXtoDVD I recommend a program called k3b.
    There is a really good website that talks about video conversion for linux in general.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/secti...ux-video-tools

Took me a bit to figure out what a PS3 was... thought it was some sort of MP3 player at first... sorry not much into console gaming. Though I see it has the ability to stream music and such and there is a following for installing linux as well (may have to look into one of these for myself.) Here is a url for the streaming.
    http://mediatomb.cc/

Linux has the advantage that if you can think of something for it to do... most likely someone has already thought of it and written a bit of software to do it. You just have to search around.

Perhaps Russ can provide other/better resources for some of this.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post

Took me a bit to figure out what a PS3 was... thought it was some sort of MP3 player at first... sorry not much into console gaming.
    LOL... I actually got this as a Blu-Ray player.. and the fact that my Blu-Ray player also plays games (duh) is a bonus.. but it's MUCH more than a game console.. .it's a media center PC... of sorts.. has a built in web browser, as well as streaming audio and video functionality... you can use a PSP to remotely control it, or view your content from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. As of now, I have a 1TB hard drive that has all my movies, music, and pictures stored on it. It's plugged into my Dlink router with a USB shareport on it... both my computers can access the Hard drive... My laptop streams content from the drive, through the network, to my PS3... I can grab a controller and scroll through my alphabetic list of movies and watch one, whenever I want. Music you say, well it's the same. Family pictures are a breeze as well... all i need now is one with a broken optical drive for my bedroom :-D

I have a 50" plasma (smaller than my 60" Sony SXRD than it replaced) in my living room, and a 32" Toshiba on the wall in my bedroom that feels lonely... LOL...

I'm not sure I want to install Linux on my PS3, but I definitely want to explore putting linux on my laptops... it seemed to run very quickly and without quirks...

I use the above mentioned programs very frequently, and don't want to trade those for the linux... also i don't want to do a bunch of command line stuff either... MY wife is already got a bad taste towards vista... I don't want to be 'coding' on her machine all the time either or i'd be sleeping in the garaga HAHA...

thanks for the links, i'll def. check them out.
    mike

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post

any ideas??
    thanks
    mike
    May I recommend you go to howtoforge for a set-up guide
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    May I recommend you go to howtoforge for a set-up guide
    Russ
    I'll def. check that out as well.. Seemed as though ubuntu was just as customizable as Windows, but it's not spending 2 minutes loading up drivers ans junk just to boot. (that's what i meant when i said 'it just works' .. LOL.. it really was neat to play with.. I'm seriously going to check out the few programs that Q-hack posted as well as a few others to see if they will be suitable replacements for the ones i listed.. if so, i'm going to make the switch for sure. Windows has too much garbage... seems like linux is way more 'basic' and 'simple' to use in comparison..

thanks for the advice.
    mike