Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best?

The Best?

I have heard that Lye is one of the best to use, although possibly HAZARDOUS... be careful!

gasmakr Guest
    I'm really likeing the sodium hydroxide it requires less concentration than bakingsoda and it runs cooler too

Sparkie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have heard that Lye is one of the best to use, although possibly HAZARDOUS... be careful!
    Lye is Potassium Hydroxide....yes?...because I am waiting on some to arrive next month.

Ronjinsan Guest
    No...Lye is Sodium Hydroxide better known as Caustic Soda. Porbly get some at the local hardware, but dont buy drain cleaner it has some other additives in it. Get the pure powder and be careful with it....one grain on your hand will burn you! Keep away from any other living entities!

Lye is sodium hydroxide

thebargew Guest
    How much would you use?

How much

I would start at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

thebargew Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    I would start at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.
    Thanks.. Looks like its workin quite well!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebargew View Post
    Thanks.. Looks like its workin quite well!!

Your welcome
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

msheppa Guest
    The best way I have found to measure how much Lye to add is with a multi-meter. Set it to AMPS. With fresh, Distilled Water and a clean system, you should be less than 1 amp before adding anything to it. What ever you decide to use, add very little at first. Mix it in well and check your amps. Between 5 and 8 amps is a good start. As your generator runs, it will work better and the amps will rise. Starting out with 5 to 8 amps, it should not rise above 20 amps. If you get higher than that you run the risk of blowing fuses. Along with the amps you have heat. Amps and heat go hand-in-hand. The more amps, the more heat. For those of you running with PVC pipe or less, be careful. PVC max temp is 140 degrees F. At 20 amps you are running at around 140F.