Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm still thinking...

I found 3/4" thick HDPE at the local plastic's outlet. It has a smooth surface instead of having the rough cuttingboard surface. It is much easier to seal with gaskets. I made some 10" X 8" end plates and the cost was only $5.00 each. At 3/4" thick it is perfect for drilling and tapping in threads. NO MORE GLUE FOR ME EVER ON ANYTHING!!!! My big 100 plate test cell is now junk because the Marine Goop that I sealed up the edges softened and allowed current leakage. The MMW has dropped off the face of the earth. Oh well on to the next project.

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
    I believe one of the problems is they use O-Rings for gaskets. The end plates of this cell are clear polycarbonate and the O-Ring visible on one side is round. The one on the other side is very elongated in shape. I can't see the others. With a 3/32 O-Ring squashed down as a gasket, if the durometer of the O-Rings is a bit inconsistent then the spacing will also be inconsistent. When a builder uses flat EDP gaskets they should compress more consistently as the surface area making contact with the plate is greater. In their design the plate pack is captured inside 4 bolts which don't contact the cell except where electrical connections are made. A cell design where multiple bolts pass through the plates is far more stable and will allow for more consistent plate gaping. This design with the hexagonal plates looks pretty with the clear end plates and all but really isn't very practical for the end user. I'm sure it is practical for the maker as they can be quickly assembled.

Dave Nowlin

O-ring is so easy that you can put down more than one strip to take care of spacing. You can also get the square O-ring material.
    Russ