Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop or slow down the brown stuff

spob Guest
    Stainless is (for the most part) non ferrous. This means it is not magnetic.

dennis13030 Guest
    Here is a breakdown on Stainless Steel.

http://www.fantes.com/stainless-steel.html

ELECTR0N3RD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    The reddish brown stuff is what is caused by using different metals in your unit. Go with all stainless steel and the discoloration will not happen. Cheaper galvanized metal or metals mixed with zinc will turn the water red. Looks almost like a fine mud.
    also a fine way to tell if something is true SS or just SS coated.

h-power Guest

Ronjinsan

Rain water is full of contaminants. If you don't have access to distilled water you might try running your rain water through a water filter like Brita that has a carbon filter in it. This will remove 99% of the impurities in the water. I have run several units on filtered water with no coloring in the water after weeks of run time.

Can I use a fish filter with charcoal and fine sand, or is it too slim/weak?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

rmptr Guest
    Sorry, living in the lap of luxury, I can't imagine any place on the planet that does not sell drinking water in plastic bottles.

Our markets even sell gallons of distilled water for steam irons for less than a buck.

It's got to be better than rain water run through an aquarium filter.

Should not be difficult to fabricate a stove top still and boil a half gallon of water in a large pot, catch the steam, and let it drip down into a container.

Best

h-power Guest

Water

Bottled drinking water and distilled water are NOT the same thing. Bottled water for sure has minerals and other things in it. Water that is well filtered can have much of the contaminates remove. Brita does a good job of this and I'm sure there are others. Don't know about aquarium filters but I doubt it.