Thread: Blows 30 amp fuse.

hoopes1 Guest

Blows 30 amp fuse.

I'm new to hho. I drive a 1983 chevy silverado with a small block 350, nothing real fancy, it does have an MSD igintion on it though,(don't know if this will help you diagnose the problem). I bought an hho system and hooked it up to spec. I ran it with a 20/30 amp relay and a 30 amp fuse. My problem is that it keeps on blowing the 30 amp fuse. It takes it about 20-30 seconds to blow it.
    When my truck is running I've measured the voltage output at a little over 14 volts. Is this a problem?
    My engine drags down pretty good when power is going to the hho generator before the fuse has a chance to blow. Is this normal?
    I would love to have anyones input to help me diagnose this problem.
    thanks

the 14 volts is normal. Can you describe the cell a little more? Obviously it pulls over 30 amps after warming up, but how many plates, wet cell, dry cell, how its wired such as +NNNNN-, electrolyte solution, and whatever else you can think of.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

Simply too many amps. Weaken youe electrolite and try again. If you can get or borrow an amp meter. It is almost impossible to get your cell right without one. At least you are blowing fuses and not melting down wire. Need more info on your cell.

hoopes1 Guest
    The generator is a 4 plate setup, +_+_ , with no neutral plates. The solution is 1 tablespoon baking soda to 1 gallon of distilled water. It's a wet cell. Plates are 2.5" by 5", 20ga, 316L stainless.

It probably is a combination of spacing, electrolyte, and the fact that you don't have any neutrals. i actually had the same problem, So I ran with 5 neutrals and 2 ends(+-) and I stopped blowing the fuses. Get an ammeter. People told me the same thing when I joined the forum. Its a must have and its not very expensive.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

hoopes1 Guest
    What if I just wired in a 30 amp pwm?

I not for sure, but I don't think you can use a pwm to reduce control amps for more than its rated for.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

breaker

I would also suggest a 30 amp auto fuse. I got one at Auto Zone. It resets automatically, it's a thermal switch basically.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopes1 View Post
    What if I just wired in a 30 amp pwm?
    If you wire in a PWM you can control the amps and they are a good investment but back to the amp guage. If you do use a PWM then you really need the amp guage even more. The PWM will allow more than 30 amps just like you are doing now. Then you will not only blow the fuse but smoke the PWM as well. The 30 amp rating is just to tell you that the mosfet's in the PWM will handle up to 30 amps with out burning up.