Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neutral plates

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Isn't the difference between conducting and inducting thus:

Conducting - The flow of current through free electrons due to an electrical potential. For example, a battery with a wire connected - to +.

Inducting - The flow of current through free electrons due to the proximity of a magnetic field. For example, input and output coils of a transformer or the coils in an alternator passing the magnets.

Please note, I'm asking a question NOT trying to join the debate!

Russ.
    Russ;

Prior to looking it up in the dictionary, I would have agreed 100%.........

But the dictionary, doesn't necessarilly agree. However. it's definition does not go as indepth, as I would have thought, either.

Then, I did not look up "induction" either, to get a perspective on the proper use of that particular word, as compared to the former.

Induction, as I always understood it, was passed even through properly insolated wire, by magnetic fields, and it relys on proximity to a potential receiver for the curent, such as a metal rod, or plate.

A transformer, I believe works, through induction.

Both in the use of it in the HHO generators, or in the passage of electric, as in lightning, capacitance plays into it.

And capacitance is probably one of the least understood principals of electric, in the minds of the common man.

People are very easily confused by electric, because it usually is not seen!

Thus, to grasp some understanding of it, folks try to compare it to either a road map, or the flow of a river. Induction, however defys that understanding, of it!
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Thank you for your reply... I didn't want to start any war here...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Thank you for your reply... I didn't want to start any war here...
    oh sure make the snowballs and get someone else to throw them

ajriding Guest
    I bought a plate configuration off ebay, it may or may not be 316L SS.
    it was intended for +-+-+-+-+- (8 pair total)
    that drew a tremendous amount of amps and produced a lot of heat in the wiring. It made maybe 1/3 liter/ minute with KOH.
    I changed it to +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-.
    Now the generator only draws 3-5 amps (I had limited it to 25 before with the pwm I was forced to buy) and seems to put our more gas. I have not measured it yet.
    I also wrapped it in an innertube to prevent current flow outside the plates - a brick I think its called.
    The neutral plates do the job.

Consaka Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    NaOH and KOH will not greatly affect 304, 316, 317 SS.

Why confuse the issue with 'certain' metals?

Aluminum and NaOH will make Hydrogen as the aluminum dissolves.

Don't use aluminum.

If folks use anything but NaOH or KOH, I believe that they are making an error of judgment.

FWIW

BoyntonStu
    Agreed though id add in pure water for those people trying to use HF or some other force other then the brute force method most commonly discussed here.
    I really worry about people trying to use Salt as an electrolyte since it can make a poisonous gas. Im a little fuzzy on what it actually becomes after going through the heat of the engine combustion process but im betting its not good.

bigjim56 Guest
    "I really worry about people trying to use Salt as an electrolyte since it can make a poisonous gas. Im a little fuzzy on what it actually becomes after going through the heat of the engine combustion process but im betting its not good."

True, Consaka...

My work is now using this plate technology for the bacterialization of the communities water supply...>40 MGD capacity. They use brine (high concentration salt water) that is fed w/softened water to 5 stages of cells that seperate the chlorine from the brine to form a hypochlorite solution. This solution comes out at at 6000-7500 ppm chlorine concentration!
    These cells are much like our dry cells, except their titanium plated, and much bigger, a rough guess would be about 4' X 4' in size. Believe it or not, the by-product here is Hydrogen...they don't want it, its exhausted thru high volume exhaust fans out the roof. This is a brand new system, and its working quite well. Part of the reason for the changeover from 2-ton chlorine cylinders to this Hypo-generator system was because of insurance (terrorist)
    concerns and handling safety.

Anyone that uses salt water in their cells is probably doing it because of the lack of other desireable waters available, IMO. the resultant chlorine gas that emits is NOT GOOD for breathing or as an induction agent into your engine. It is corrosive, but unlike NaOH or KOH...IT IS A GAS...it will enter your engine much easier than a solid that mostly stays behind in the bubbler water.
    I've experienced some carryover of KOH into the bubbler, but its been minute and negligible (bubbler pH tests).

bigjim56

truckman1966 Guest
    this is my first post here and i have had some heat issues although i am using neutral plates or u plates or whatever you wanna call them. had to rebuild my acrylic box style gen when i was using stainless wire. i have 2 sets of 9 plate. they are -N+N-N+N-. they were hung from the top of the chamber and had connections on the top but no both are mounted separately, one on each side, with a separate power source. any ideas or thoughts on my unit?

Quote Originally Posted by truckman1966 View Post
    this is my first post here and i have had some heat issues although i am using neutral plates or u plates or whatever you wanna call them. had to rebuild my acrylic box style gen when i was using stainless wire. i have 2 sets of 9 plate. they are -N+N-N+N-. they were hung from the top of the chamber and had connections on the top but no both are mounted separately, one on each side, with a separate power source. any ideas or thoughts on my unit?
    Is it a wet cell?

truckman1966 Guest
    yes. would you like pictures/video?

Quote Originally Posted by truckman1966 View Post
    yes. would you like pictures/video?
    yes, please