Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

cozumel2 Guest

Winterizing

OK, so I switched form salt to KOH. It is now 1 above and I have a block of ice. Is there a way to get a good electrolyte AND prevent freezing? I suspect that I may have to hook up some sort of self contained heater for the winter. I am open to any ideas short of heating my garage!

Quote Originally Posted by cozumel2 View Post
    OK, so I switched form salt to KOH. It is now 1 above and I have a block of ice. Is there a way to get a good electrolyte AND prevent freezing? I suspect that I may have to hook up some sort of self contained heater for the winter. I am open to any ideas short of heating my garage!
    The best method is to use a maximum strength solution of electrolyte (28% KOH) and utilise a PWM to control amps. You will also increase your MMW this way.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

For sure use the maximum strength electrolyte. In simple terms the less water, more electrolyte, the lower the freezing temp(assuming its KOH or NaOH). I'm NOT saying to use a lower amount of water than needed to run the cell, but if the cell is 2" by 4" and your using a tank(assuming your using a non dry cell) that is 6" by 1', then that's asking for easier freezing. Use a container that fits the cell, and the maximum electrolyte level possible. You could also get some sort of of heater, to run as a parasitic draw. Also, if you could make it easy enough using some kind of quick connect, you could just take your cell out for the night
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

You might be able to incorporate a block heater. The sell fairly cheaply on ebay. I used to use one to heat vegetable oil up for a diesel truck. They heat up to about 125 degrees Fahrenheit. However you would have to be cautious of the copper tubing they are usually made out of. Wonder if you could silver solder the outer copper tube such to protect it from the electrolyte.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

cozumel2 Guest
    Salt does the trick but I get a black sludge and chlorine gas. Given that, I cannot imagine what byproducts I get from KOH, NaOH or alcohol, especially in the high doses I am seeing here as suggestions. Any thoughts on using hydrogen peroxide? If I boost the KOH, I see a very high amp draw problem. Also, can someone elaborate on PMW & MMW please?

Quote Originally Posted by cozumel2 View Post
    Salt does the trick but I get a black sludge and chlorine gas. Given that, I cannot imagine what byproducts I get from KOH, NaOH or alcohol, especially in the high doses I am seeing here as suggestions. Any thoughts on using hydrogen peroxide? If I boost the KOH, I see a very high amp draw problem. Also, can someone elaborate on PMW & MMW please?
    Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down in heat or light. It is 97% water anyway. I think it would freeze just about as fast.

I have seen ice cream scoops that have anti-freeze in the handle... Wonder if you could incorporate something like that. Find a small water-tight stainless steel container that would fit inside. Fill it with anti-freeze and drop it in.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

wayneB Guest

Winterizing the HHO

This is my first here,So be gentle with me. I'm into this HHO a bit,And I live in southern Mo. I bench test the cells I work with.[Building different ones]. I tested a small one,it put out about half liter a min. I added 3-4 oz alcohol to the cell, And it SHUT down making any gas. So you can use it, but your cell won't work.{ at least with my tests}. I know some guys use it, and say that it works for them. It may keep it from freezing, But if it don't make any or much gas, Or You could just turn the cell OFF for the winter,Or put a heater by it. A drop cord with 60 watt bulb next to the cell should keep it from freezing.Someone told me they make 3ft heat tapes.May be worth a try. I tested a guys 2 cell rig on a 86 Fodr P U with a 460 eng.He put 6oz of alcohol in each. When I tested his, They were not putting out anything. Told him to use a drop cord. Hope this helps someone.

coffeeachiever Guest
    After a couple of days in the twenties, the half gallon of vinegar I leave in the back of my truck did not freeze. This morning I woke up to fourteen degrees and the vinegar was a block of ice. I assume the vinegar in my bubbler was frozen too. The unit is disconnected right now for repairs and modifications, so I wasn't too concerned about it. The main thing is that my electrolyte was NOT frozen. I use about a 75/25 mix of water and NaOH. So far it has passed the freeze test. The only issue now is what to put in the bubbler. I want it to be acidic (i.e. Vinegar) to neutralize any NaOH fumes that may be present, but I don't want to make any bad juju by mixing the wrong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    After a couple of days in the twenties, the half gallon of vinegar I leave in the back of my truck did not freeze. This morning I woke up to fourteen degrees and the vinegar was a block of ice. I assume the vinegar in my bubbler was frozen too. The unit is disconnected right now for repairs and modifications, so I wasn't too concerned about it. The main thing is that my electrolyte was NOT frozen. I use about a 75/25 mix of water and NaOH. So far it has passed the freeze test. The only issue now is what to put in the bubbler. I want it to be acidic (i.e. Vinegar) to neutralize any NaOH fumes that may be present, but I don't want to make any bad juju by mixing the wrong stuff.
    I was thinking about using neat windshield washer fluid in my bubbler. If you have a condenser coil like my design it shouldn't matter what's in the bubbler.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I was thinking about using neat windshield washer fluid in my bubbler. If you have a condenser coil like my design it shouldn't matter what's in the bubbler.
    The condenser coil is a good idea. Before I try that though, i'm going to change my bubbler from PVC to a conductive metal and try to seperate the gasses in it with electromagnets. I really want to see if that works. If not, I will definitely be using your condenser idea.