Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KISS Design for a low current leakage cell

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    My resevoir is 4" PVC. I primed and glued the ever loving crap out of the end cap and the e lyte still eventually started a slow leak in the bottom. I'm thinking a solid container is better. IMO.
    I've built reservoirs and bubblers from PVC and affixed the end cap with standard PVC cement, never had any problems with leakage. Weird.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    I'm building a 4" reservoir and was planning on using normal pvc glue..... I wonder if epoxy would work better???
    I can't understand why PVC cement won't work. Isn't lye a drain cleaner? PVC stuff is made to handle lye. It must be over a long period of time that creates the problem. I'm still using PVC cement, but just incase vibration also causes leaks I think I'll put rubber on the mount.
    Russ

I've been using PVC cement with my PVC reservoir tubes for many months and it's held up fine, even with max concentration electrolyte.

(EDIT: I think I already said this.... isn't age a *****?)

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    I can't understand why PVC cement won't work. Isn't lye a drain cleaner? PVC stuff is made to handle lye. It must be over a long period of time that creates the problem. I'm still using PVC cement, but just incase vibration also causes leaks I think I'll put rubber on the mount.
    Russ
    Those are very good points. My resevoir is what I used to construct my bath cells with before I got into dry cells, so it's had a high concentration e lyte in it for several months. I didn't develop the leak till it had been mounted to the bed of my truck for a couple of weeks.
    Fortunately it leaks very little and onto a rubber bed protector, but any leak at all is bad.

Without getting lots of heavy objects thrown at me....

You guys aren't exceeding the 140F limit, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post

That would be my thought too. Heat is the only enemy to a good pvc seal. I've been using mine for well over a month, had temps up to 120F in 3" pvc using lye with no problem. Going to temps higher than 140 would definitely weaken it.

If heat is the problem switch to CPVC and CPVC cement both have working temps of 212 and forming temps in the 350 degree range.

coffeeachiever Guest

My dry cell doesn't get over 100, but now that you mention it, my bath cells did. It is the same resivoir. You guys go ahead and get a good laugh at my expense while I stand here and bang my head on the wall. It's okay. Really, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    You guys go ahead and get a good laugh at my expense while I stand here and bang my head on the wall. It's okay. Really, go ahead.
    Just remember, what an invaluable service you are providing!

Just remember, what an invaluable service you are providing!
    ditto... it's all good. I think there have been several 'brain farts' on the forum that we all have learned from. LOL...
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE