Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "N" Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    Stu,
    I think I see what you're saying. In a light switch there is a hot, a neutral and and ground where the neutral carries the return current.

But this setup is different. If the unconnected plates are open to the charge of the corresponding charged plate, doesn't that by definition make them neutral?
    In a light switch, the neutral and ground are the same thing!

If you open your house pannel, you will see that all the neutral wires collect to a bus bar, as also do the ground wires connect to a similar bus bar. The two bus bars are connected!

The object of having the ground wire in addition to the neutral, is so that when a man works on the electrical switch, outlet, or what have you...........

If you disconnect the neutral wire, and didn't have a separate ground wire, there is the possibility, that you could become the ground, sustaining a possibly fatal shock!
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

coffeeachiever Guest
    I stand corrected. In that case, I have absolutely no clue where Stu is coming from.
    I had missed QHacks post because we posted at the same time. I will make a final post to this thread by saying I don't care what we call them as long as there is sound reasoning behind it. It is impossible to make a decision on anything that will please everyone. If I'm going to argue about anything, it's likely not going to be what something is named.

Cool. It's all semantics really, right? I just need to know how it effects the operation of my cell. What we call it has zero bearing on that. I'll cal it the "everyone's gay plate" if it makes HHO.
    In truth, it really does matter!

The purpose of the forum, is to clarify the unknown, or at least the misunderstood!

The assigning of so may different names to the same thing, only creates confusion!

Ever since just about forever, the plates were called N plates!

With very few excptions, most peole here, fully understand, that these plates do have a charge, although they are Not connected.

With each person writing in to say it should be called "this", or "that", is reminiscent of the Tower of Babble. Everyone calling the same thing, by a different name (or word), is the very basis of confusion!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I think pretty much the same holds true, with the discussion of whether the current is conducted, or inducted...

We know the current flows, even thought the plates are Not connected, so if the electrolyte conducts current, or inducts current, is pretty much insignificant, in the long run. Of course, we want to know, but does it change anything?

We know it flows, and that is what counts.

Is there anyway to do a poll of what peeps want to use on this forum?

I still like "n" cause it is used in many many places on the net.

just my 3000 cents worth.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Smile

I vote we call them stu plates.

alpha-dog Guest
    they're capacitive plates. I like the line best ||||||||

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    I SAID D!!! And what I say GOES!!!

The reason I call it a "D" plate is I am Damn tired of the stupid Discussion over something that makes no Difference as far as HHO production is concerned!!

Now Don't make me repeat myself!!

What he said. Love it. Although Stu plates is a pretty good one too.

I swear this is my last post on this.

Exclamation A "neutral" challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    I vote we call them stu plates.
    To all Neutral Plate users:

Build a 3 plate cell in an otherwise wmpty and dry glass aquarium.

A Positive, a "Neutral", and a Negative.

Place 200 Volts between the Positive and the Negative.

Would you hold the "Neutral" in one hand and either the Positive or the Negative in your other hand?

I would not hesitate to do it.

Add electrolyte until you get 10 Amps flowing.

Would you repeat the above?

If not, why would you be afraid of holding a truly Neutral plate?

Would you touch the glass side of the aquarium?

Glass is a neutral non-conducting insulator and it is therefore safe.

No Neutral plates exist in a conducting electrolyte.

BoyntonStu

In that case, I have absolutely no clue where Stu is coming from.
    Me either... Stu is a smart guy, but has anyone ever wondered why we give him the pleasure of all this attention?? seriously.. I think sometimes he starts posts like this one, and makes insulting comments like he did in another post (towards me) just for attention.

he has posted no justifiable reason (from his perspective) for this thread and yet it has received a ton of (in my opinion) not really relevant discussion.

I agree that the function of the neutral plates in our gens isn't exactly neutral, but in actuality they could be... they could not be...WHO CARES... as long as there's a standard by which we can all identify the 'not electrically connected plates'... right??

(and for the record, i'm seriously not trying to slam stu or anything, in fact I believe he's a smart guy with lots to contribute here)

(here comes the snowballs... )

mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    To all Neutral Plate users:

Build a 3 plate cell in an otherwise wmpty and dry glass aquarium.

A Positive, a "Neutral", and a Negative.

Place 200 Volts between the Positive and the Negative.

Would you hold the "Neutral" in one hand and either the Positive or the Negative in your other hand?

I would not hesitate to do it.

Add electrolyte until you get 10 Amps flowing.

Would you repeat the above?

If not, why would you be afraid of holding a truly Neutral plate?

Would you touch the glass side of the aquarium?

Glass is a neutral non-conducting insulator and it is therefore safe.

No Neutral plates exist in a conducting electrolyte.

BoyntonStu
    Stu;

This banter can go on forever, with no one gaining any ground.

No one here is arguing that the divider plate(s) "in the electrolyte" are in fact charged, when current is applied to the positive pole, and the negative pole is grounded.

And of course, if you apply current to the annode plate, in a cell with no electrolyte, you wouldn't be shocked, to touch the divider plate.

The only reason we refer to the divider plates, as N, is because they are not directly hardwired, but instead gather current from other means!

These plates were called N plates long before any of us, ever joined this forum.

Further discussion over something so trivial, is not of any bennefit.

If it were able to help, it would warrant further discussion.

But as there is no argument, that the plates do indeed have a positive charge, when in use, the varying names of the plates, only hinder the cause.