Thread: "N" Plates?

Lightbulb "N" Plates?

"N" plate = Non-neutral plate.

BoyntonStu

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    "N" plate = Net Neutral plate.
    Incorrect!

Unconnected plates in an electrolyte are NOT neutral!

BoyntonStu

We should label them as 'B' for 'bi-polar plates'.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Incorrect!

Unconnected plates in an electrolyte are NOT neutral!

BoyntonStu
    Stu,
    I think I see what you're saying. In a light switch there is a hot, a neutral and and ground where the neutral carries the return current.

But this setup is different. If the unconnected plates are open to the charge of the corresponding charged plate, doesn't that by definition make them neutral?

neuts

I would say they are neutral in the since there is no direct connection to them as is the + and - plates. We all know there is current flowing through them, but in this aspect of things I'd say neutral is a fair label for the unconnected plates.

n = Not connected

neutral refers to AC the point of a sign wave were its not positive going nor is it negative going

the cell plates N are not neutrals because they have a potential (voltage) across them and other cells

Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    n = Not connected

neutral refers to AC the point of a sign wave were its not positive going nor is it negative going

the cell plates N are not neutrals because they have a potential (voltage) across them and other cells
    I like this definition.

N = Not CONNECTED to + or -
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
    I like this definition.

N = Not CONNECTED to + or -
    So what do we call them? I know Stu likes U plate, but such a thing already exists. The term "neutral" seems to be like nails on a chalkboard to him because he keeps bringing it up.
    If someone comes up with a better, rolls off the tongue word for it, I for one will change my wording to be more correct and accommodating to Stu.

The more I think about this, the more I agree that we need a change in convention. Do we really need to refer to the unconnected plates as anything at all other than just plates? If you look at a circuit design which has 3 capacitors in series, you have created essentially the same sort of circuit that we have with HHO generators.

{+}-----|(----|(----|(-----{-}

in this case only the outer two plates of the capacitors are connected directly to the voltage source. Yet we still consider the middle capacitor as its own entity with powered plates.

I am all for a change in convention as long as it represents what we are trying to show effectively.

+NNN-

could be represented just as easily as

+|||-

The + and - symbols still represent plates, they are just the plates that actually have an electrode attached.

If you wanted to express two HHO generators in series in which the electrolyte is separated by container/wall.

(+|||-)(+|||-)

or parallel

(+|||-)
    (+|||-)

This idea would only express the electrical side of the discussion. If you wanted to show the physical side. You could then use various letters in the representation.

For plumabobs design

+UUU-

or the Smacks design

+HHH-

in both of these designs there are physically 8 plates but electrically there are only 5.

Comments?
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    + and - on the same plate ='s a NET neutral (in accounting terms)

Jezz Stu, take a chill pill!! Who gives a crap what you call them "N", "U", "A", "B", "C",..... When you are talking about + _ _ _ - you can fill the blanks with any latter, number, or character you would like and most people can easily figure out what you are saying.

ACTUALY FROM NOW ON THE NON CONNECTED PLATES LOCATED BETWEEN THE + AND - SHALL BE REFERED TO AS D Plates (as in Divider Plates!!!)
    Cool. It's all semantics really, right? I just need to know how it effects the operation of my cell. What we call it has zero bearing on that. I'll cal it the "everyone's gay plate" if it makes HHO.