Thread: another newbie.

airman90 Guest

another newbie.

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and am really excited about this. I drive a 98 Dodge ram 2500 with a gas guzzling 360ci. in it. I have made a cell with 8 ss plates and after placing them in a quart mason jar, I was excited to see that it was working pretty damn good. I am going to refine, and complete the system with a bubbler and all but wanted to know if anyone had any advice for me before continuing.
    I only realized recently that people were adding other mods such as adjustments to your 02 and map and or maf sensors. Are these required for ANY gains? Or can you ecpect to get some gains with just the hho and better results with other mods?
    Also, I am thinking that the spacing between my plates may be too small. As I said, it seems to work pretty well,(haven't tested LPM yet) but could I expect better performance with a larger space between plates? I currently have about 1 to 1.5 mm. between them.
    I appreciate any advice I can get and look forward to getting to know everyone here. Aaron

Aaron -

welcome to the board. There is a lot of good information here and the members are very knowledgeable and helpful.

the other mods (efie, map, maf) are designed to fool the car's ECU into running leaner (to make up for the added O2 in the exhaust stream from the HHO burning) by making the ECU run lean, this is how we achieve MPG gains.

Some vehicles do not require mods while others do. Your setup may vary. I would get a baseline MPG to start with based on miles driven per fillup. Then add HHO and do the same... must be same type of driving as well for both measurements.

if you see worse or no gains, you would benefit from other mods.

which mods to try will be just that, trial and error to see what works for your vehicle as they all respond differently to this stuff. Unfortunately there is no 'one cure for all' remedy here, however there have been enough member builds and experiments from which to obtain methods and ideas to apply to your own vehicle.

I hope this helps.
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

the simplest mod is a O2 sensor spacer - and there cheap - about $10 or less shipped.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Some local auto parts stores have them in the help section as well.. they're called 'spark plug non-foulers'..

I hope this helps
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Who needs o2 extenders?

I have hundreds of then for 3.00 ea
    For larger photos of offerings see:
    http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

Spacing

Your spacing is pretty good. I use 1.7 mm..
    Seems between 1-2 mm is most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by ridelong View Post
    Your spacing is pretty good. I use 1.7 mm..
    Seems between 1-2 mm is most popular.
    Who needs spacers?

I have tens of thousands, of them. 1.1 mm round nylon. 1/2" with 1/4" hole.

See bottom of linked page: http://shuttermotor.tripod.com/id12.html

I'm not certain, how this thread got to plate spacers, from o2 extenders, but in either case, I can supply more than you need, at very reasonable pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by airman90 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and am really excited about this. I drive a 98 Dodge ram 2500 with a gas guzzling 360ci. in it. I have made a cell with 8 ss plates and after placing them in a quart mason jar, I was excited to see that it was working pretty damn good. I am going to refine, and complete the system with a bubbler and all but wanted to know if anyone had any advice for me before continuing.
    I only realized recently that people were adding other mods such as adjustments to your 02 and map and or maf sensors. Are these required for ANY gains? Or can you ecpect to get some gains with just the hho and better results with other mods?
    Also, I am thinking that the spacing between my plates may be too small. As I said, it seems to work pretty well,(haven't tested LPM yet) but could I expect better performance with a larger space between plates? I currently have about 1 to 1.5 mm. between them.
    I appreciate any advice I can get and look forward to getting to know everyone here. Aaron
    Aaron;

Plate spacing is very important, but in contradiction to your scenerio above, the thinner space between plates, is better, but not so thin that the solution, can't pass between them.

With closer spacing, less solution is needed, and less excess heat is developed.

The same holds true for plate size. Smaller plates give off less heat (due to the smaller total area). However, production also is less, but utilizing more generators, production is increased, while heat can be kept in check.

Both Stan Myers, and Dave Lawton (as well as others) recomend 0.045" as the perfect spacing. That is almost exactly 1.1 mm. (1.1 mm is actually: 0.0445")

Knowing that for fact, it is the precise thickness, I had my spacers made to meet!

As tiny as a 1.1 mm 1/2" spacer is, I litterally, have cubic feet of them, as well as offering precision cut plates, all types of nylon hardware, and o2 extenders.

All of these items can be seen at the below link.

Further, I offer these to forum members, for slightly less, than the price advetised on the linked webpage.