Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amp limitation.

amp limitation.

I'm looking for something to limit the amp flow.
    For example at 20 A
    To have a steady parameter and check with more or less KOH, plate size and so on.
    Do you know how to build something like this?

coffeeachiever Guest
    If I understand your question, I believe that's what a PWM is for.

A PWM? What do you mean with this?

coffeeachiever Guest
    Pulse width modulator. It pulses the current in cycles to help cut down on amp draw and heat production. You can do a forum search for a technical description more detailed than I'm capable of.

Tks but isn't it easier to make a Amp limiter?

coffeeachiever Guest
    That would be alpha dog's area of expertise. Unfortunately, my knowledge of electronics is limited. At least for now anyway. I can tell you that most people are using pwm's. If you have what you think is a better solution, throw it out there for the group to toss around. If it is better, we'll all jump on the band wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Tks but isn't it easier to make a Amp limiter?
    The problem with limiting amps or volts is the current loss due to resistance. If there is a better way of limiting volts or amps other than a PWM without current loss due to resistance or bleading the extra volts/amps to ground we would love to hear how. I hope you have the answer because I sure do not. Other than a transformer fore every two leads I do not know how to accomplish that. To make a transformer work on DC you still nead a PWM. To add an a/c convertor then step down the voltage you still have to overcome the convertor loss and the transformer loss. The most important thing in HHO production is to eliminate or reduce current loss.

Do you have a way to measures the Amp you need for each plates?
    Is it depending of the:
    Thickness? Difference between 1mm and 2 mm (for example) (question of mass)
    Size, of course
    Perhaps shape

Did you try to compare with any other metal than SS? Copper plates nickeled for example?

H2OPWR, I don't have the answer... yet, but I will check!

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Do you have a way to measures the Amp you need for each plates?
    Is it depending of the:
    Thickness? Difference between 1mm and 2 mm (for example) (question of mass)
    Size, of course
    Perhaps shape

Did you try to compare with any other metal than SS? Copper plates nickeled for example?
    With a series plate set up, the amperage draw across each plate will always be the same as the generator as a whole. The voltage, however, will change from plate to plate.

Some people believe that the thickness of the plates or the gap in between makes a difference to efficiency. I have tested various plate thickness and gaps. I haven't been able to measure anything significant by varying them. Exception: Plate gap at about 6 inches starts to seriously drop efficiency. However, the difference between 1mm or 2mm is negligible.

Yes it is true that other metals conduct electricity better than stainless steel... they either break down under the electrolysis process faster than stainless, or they cost a whole bunch more... For your money, stainless steel is the best option.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!