Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting FED UP with KOH yet??

I will add this from experience:

Once you are ready to dispose of your electrolyte, adding a bit of citric acid to the elyte, stirring and allowing it to sit for about an hour will make that brown particulate disappear and you will be left with a clear solution.

Citric acid is known to have the capability of changing CrVI into CrIII according to scientific studies. Understand that this is all relative to the amount of CrVI and rust in the solution though.

I tried this on a 1 gallon jug of electrolyte that had quite a bit of red/brown particulate from electrolysis in the bottom. Added citric acid, closed and shook the container then allowed to sit for 30 minutes.

Before citric acid, the water was yellowish with plenty of particulate.

After, the water was crystal clear with zero particulate.

I'm using trisodium phosphate and making lots of bubbles... any input from anybody?? It's running clean after about 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans H View Post
    I'm using trisodium phosphate and making lots of bubbles... any input from anybody?? It's running clean after about 5 days.
    Are you using Trisodium phosphate as an electrolyte or as a means to remove Cr(VI) from waste electrolyte?
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Ya, I'm running it as an electrolyte... not as conductive as KOH, but more conductive than vinegar or citric acid. my new electrode set will get the magic 1/8" spacing, so the potent stuff may not be necessary. My cell is still clean after about 10 days, but I am only about 1/2 way to my 15A ideal when warm, and adding more tsp produces no more amp draw. The gas production on my ss cup array is very impressive on bench test.

joel.benavidez Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    What stainless alloy are you using? 302, 304, 316, 316L

The lower the carbon content the better typically.

What is the voltage between plates? 2v, 2.5, 3, higher?

What is the average amperage of your cell?

Are you using tap or distilled water?

Did you wash and condition your plates first?
    I just purchased the Vada Energy Max 1400 Kit with a single EFIE and the MX067 PWM. The 1400 cell has 4 circular cells with 7 plates each
    (- n n + n n -)*4 for 28 plates. the grade of the plates are 316L. the bubbler/resevoir has a gallon capacity and comes with about 4 Tbspns of KOH. The PWM claims to feed either 30A @ 100Hz or 35A adjustable from 400Hz to 3KHz. I intend to use the cleanest Distilled water I can get, and since vada went pro on everything else, Im assuming the plates inside come pre cleaned and conditioned.

I intend to mount the Cell and PWM in an acrylic container and mount it centered in my back seat Flux Capacitor style. I will vent some of my ' 06 Civic's AC inside the case for cooling and a pc fan for venting.

With all that said. Any "No nonesense" advice like this for me? What frequencies would match the KOH concentration I intend to use best? etc. Is 316L considered low carbon concentrate for reduced sludge? ANything I havent thought of?

I'll be posting the unboxing of the PWM and Vada Cell kit within days at http://www.youtube.com/saintskyler Acrylic case construction and instalation comes next then active tests.

So again, With all that said. Any "No nonesense" advice like this for me?

Ya, your mentor at this site would be the guy... however I'll kept hangin in for more input on electrolytes... there's another mystery electrolyte on ebay now, that claims totally clean results! On pwms: don't get "star struck" by those claims!! Magic frequences aside, wait to graduate from basic. Meanwhile there are breakthrus going on in the braintrust, that we are all hoping to get on board with eventually. H

Where is everybody?! Been hearing about potassium carbonate (used as a buffering agent in wine making). The big boys are using it in their fuel cells... might be a good one. Potassium phosphate has also been refered to, and I thought that potassium citrate might be clean and effective. My take on trisodium phosphate after using it for several months now is that it will only stay clean at very weak concentrations.
    Let's not be diddling till the prices bust up again!