Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to seperate the HHO to HH and O

theramsey3 Guest

Lightbulb Is it possible to seperate the HHO to HH and O

I have been trying to come up with ways to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen. I have an idea however I don't know if it will work the way I think it may. I think if we redesign our cells to catch the hydrogen and the oxygen we could pump pure hydrogen into the intake eliminating the oxygen problem by simply venting it into the atmosphere. If my train of thought is correct then the hydrogen will be produced by one electrode and oxygen by the other so why cant we build cells that separate the two gases? I think we could utilize larger gaps and seal each side of the neutral plates to catch only one gas with something like 1/16" acrylic. I will try to come up with a prototype sometime in the next few days(or weeks if my luck stays the way its been this week.) I have not claimed to be a physicist or an engineer so there may be holes in my theory and I would appreciate any thoughts or criticism on this idea.

If you come up with a design that will work in a vehicle, then please share. A few of us have been toying with this idea for a while now. Creating something that works on the bench for short periods of time is relatively easy . Just not suitable for in the vehicle. The main problem is this:

While hydrogen is created on the negative plate and oxygen on the positive. The unconnected (neutral) plates generate both. Hydrogen on the more negative side and oxygen on the more positive side.

The easiest set up is just to use a single positive plate and a single negative plate. Each separated by the internal container, with the current flowing through. The problem is that it takes huge amounts of current to get anything useful out of it. It also gets hot with extended periods of use, so some sort of thermal reduction would be required.

If, however, you could come up with some sort of membrane that would fit in between each of the plates, allow the current to flow through but not the hydrogen. (hydrogen is smaller than oxygen) Then you could easily separate the two using unconnected plates. Back in the old days, they used an asbestos membrane to do this...
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

coffeeachiever Guest
    The most accepted method of seperating the gasses that I know of is to do it in the bubbler with magnets or electro magnets. A dividing wall is placed in the top half of the bubbler and the magnets are placed toward the bottom.

Just a question, why separate the hydrogen and oxygen? Air is good for the combustion process, that's how turbo and super chargers work introducing more air. So wouldn't more air increase power?
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

VanHalen.
    we're not trying to create more power. Air IS good for the combustion process... here's the caveat...

while piping HHO into our engines will act as a catalyst to more completely burn the fuel, the additional oxygen is the compromise... it's unwanted. This additional oxygen is why we have to build EFIE's and use extenders, or MAP/MAF enhancers, etc. The car can't tell if the hydrogen is in there, but it SURE can tell the extra oxygen is there so we must compensate since the computer won't.

if we pump straight hydrogen in there we won't have this dilemma.

I hope this helps
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

I built a 3 cell series just to play with separating h and o. In the process of assembling the housing I broke it(acrylic). I did manage to save my separator plates. I have a pic(not a good one). It is made with 1/8" acrylic and silk. My thinking is keeping my plate spacing within 3/16" or less.

DaddyMikey1975 thanks that clears up a lot. Lol I had always wondered why you would want to split them, I understand now.
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

If someone had a bottle of hydrogen and hooked it to their vehicle. Metered the flow of hydrogen that would put the whole h separate from o to rest. I would think you would only need about 300-600m/lpm depending on engine size.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    The most accepted method of seperating the gasses that I know of is to do it in the bubbler with magnets or electro magnets. A dividing wall is placed in the top half of the bubbler and the magnets are placed toward the bottom.
    I have seen this claim several times on the web, yet I have never seen a working model. I honestly don't know enough about the ionization of atoms to know for sure if it is viable. I suspect that the lack of videos on youtube, that would show this process, says something about its validity.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    I have seen this claim several times on the web, yet I have never seen a working model. I honestly don't know enough about the ionization of atoms to know for sure if it is viable. I suspect that the lack of videos on youtube, that would show this process, says something about its validity.
    That may be true, but I am going to try it anyway. No harm in trying. The experiment Painless did with magnets for electrodes has given me some hope of success with it. If it does work then it's one more thing we know we can do. If not, it's one more thing we know we can't.