Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Holidays

Wikipedia:

Ancient Greeks and Romans celebrated New Year on the winter solstice [1]. However, many ancient cultures including the Phoenicians, Persians and Egyptians celebrated the New Year with the autumn equinox [2]. The ancient Romans celebrated their first New Year on January 1 in 153 BC.

During the Middle Ages under the influence of the Christian Church, many countries moved the start of the year to one of several important Christian festivals — December 25 (the Nativity of Jesus), March 1, March 25 (the Annunciation), or even Easter. Eastern European countries (most of them with populations showing allegiance to the Orthodox Church) began their numbered year on September 1 from about 988.

In England January 1 was celebrated as the New Year festival, but from the 12th century to 1752 the year in England began on March 25 (Lady Day). So, for example, the Parliamentary record records the execution of Charles I occurring in 1648 (as the year did not end until March 24), although modern histories adjust the start of the year to January 1 and record the execution as occurring in 1649.

Most western European countries changed the start of the year to January 1 before they adopted the Gregorian calendar. For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to January 1 in 1600. England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to January 1 in 1752. Later that year in September, the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies. These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.

In the 9th century, March 25 (the Feast of the Annunciation) was used in parts of southern Europe as the start of the new year. The practice became more widespread in Europe from the 11th century and in England from the late 12th century. January 1 became the official start of the year as follows:

* 1522 Venice
    * 1529 Sweden
    * 1544 Holy Roman Empire (Germany)
    * 1556 Spain, Portugal
    * 1559 Prussia, Denmark
    * 1564 France
    * 1576 Southern Netherlands
    * 1579 Lorraine
    * 1583 United Provinces of the Netherlands (northern)
    * 1600 Scotland
    * 1700 Russia
    * 1721 Tuscany
    * 1752 Britain and its colonies

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    True, but it just seems odd that they would create a calendar based on the Birth of Christ and then move his birthday to the same day as the winter solstice. Thereby taking over a pagan holiday (The story of Santa started out very much pagan)

So, anyway... Hopefully Stu will jump back in with his tale about 1 Jan?

Feast of the Circumcision of Christ
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord is a Christian celebration of the circumcision of Jesus, eight days (according to the Semitic and southern European calculation of intervals of days)[1] after his birth, the occasion too on which the child was formally given his name, Jesus, a name derived from Hebrew meaning "salvation" or "saviour".[2][3]

The circumcision of Jesus is traditionally seen as showing his descent from Abraham.

The feast day appears on 1 January in the liturgical calendar of the Eastern Orthodox Church[4] and of the Eastern Catholic Churches of Byzantine Rite. It also appears in the pre-1960 General Roman Calendar,[5] and is celebrated by some churches of the Anglican Communion.
    Eastern Orthodox Church

Julian calendar 1 January corresponds, until 2100, to Gregorian Calendar 14 January.[6] Accordingly, in Russia, 14 January in the civil calendar is known as "The Old New Year", since it corresponds to 1 January in the Julian Calendar, still used by the Church. The feast is celebrated as an All-Night Vigil, and the hymns of the feast are combined with those for Saint Basil the Great. After the Divine Liturgy, Russian Orthodox churches often celebrate a New Year Molieben (intercession).

Roman Catholic Church

Until 1960, the General Roman Calendar gave 1 January as the Feast of the Circumcision of the Lord and the Octave of the Nativity. In the 1960 revision by Pope John XXIII, included in his 1962 Roman Missal (whose continued use is authorized by the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum), 1 January is denominated simply the Octave of the Nativity. Since 1969, the General Roman Calendar celebrates 1 January as the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God, referring to it also as the Octave of the Nativity..

1 January is listed in canon 1246 ยง1 of the Code of Canon Law as a Holy Day of Obligation, on which, as the following canon 1247 states, "the faithful are obliged to assist at Mass, to abstain from such work or business that would inhibit the worship to be given to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, or the due relaxation of mind and body". Since episcopal conferences are authorized, after getting the approval of the Apostolic See, to suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday,[7] 1 January is not observed everywhere as a holy day of obligation. Countries where it is observed include Canada, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, and the United States.

Church of England

The Church of England's Book of Common Prayer liturgy celebrates this day as the Circumcision of Christ. The newer Common Worship liturgy observes this day as a Festival called the Naming and Circumcision of Jesus.

And now you know what your grandparents knew.

Raise your hand if you did not know that Jesus was circumcised.

BoyntonStu

P.S. Where did "April Fools Day" get its name?

Raises hand.

Wow! That is some information that has been obscured through time. It makes since that he would have been circumcised. He was a Jew after all.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post

P.S. Where did "April Fools Day" get its name?
    This one I think I know...

It was a way for the people who had made the change to the Gregorian Calendar to tease the people who were still using the Julian Calendar. If I remember correctly, 1 May was the new year in the Julian Calendar.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    This one I think I know...

It was a way for the people who had made the change to the Gregorian Calendar to tease the people who were still using the Julian Calendar. If I remember correctly, 1 May was the new year in the Julian Calendar.
    Great!

You go to the head of the class.

The 'foolish' people out in the villages were celebrating the "New Year" 4 months late.

I wish that I could educate people about water, batteries, and fuel, as effectively as I did for January 1 and April 1.

BoyntonStu