Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dry Cell Idea

SmartScarecrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    5N...6N.... I'm going with 11n or 12n!! Oh but I am running at 24v
    yeah, I know what you mean ... I am sitting here looking at mine and trying to count the N's ... think I lost count at 72 or so ... LOL ...

bigjim56 Guest
    Thanks for the reply SSC, I will go with the 5N, but if it does overheat and need to rebuilt, the 6th N will go in.

bigjim56

hydrowood Guest

tubular drycell design

check out this tubular drycell design http://www.h2extreme.comvery efficent cell produces a lot of gas with verry little current.

woodsmithca Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartScarecrow View Post
    bottom line, the biggest cause of excessive heat buildup is over voltage ... you really need to design your system in such a way that your per plate gap voltage is as close to 2v as possible ... if you drop under 2v per plate gap, your efficiency will drop like a stone ... a little over 2v per plate gap will slowly drop in efficiency ... so in general, its better to use 2.4v than 1.8v ... but as you start getting close to 3v per plate gap, you will be making more steam and excess heat than hydroxy gas ...

another big cause of over heating is trying to push too many watts at a device that doesn't have enough surface area to support it ... in general, you will want to have 4 square inches of surface area for every watt of energy you apply ... so if you have a device with 1000 square inches, you really want to keep your applied wattage to no more than 250 watts ... in a 12v system, this would be about 20 amps ... if you over amp a device with too little surface area, the result will be heat, steam and foaming ...

anyway, this is a very long post that I suspect very few will find interesting so I will get off my soap box now ... hope this helps someone move forward ...
    To test the voltage drop between plates: I would, using my voltmeter, put red on a positive terminal and then the black on the first neutral, record, then the second neutral, record, and so on until i reach the negative plate and there should only be a 2v difference at each plate.
    Also do i fill my cell with only water or water and kaoh, and do i do it on a hot or cold cell.
    My cell looks as follows:
    34 plates in total
    +NNN-NNN+NNN-NNN+ [center block] -NNN+NNN-NNN+NNN-

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim56 View Post
    Thanks for the reply SSC, I will go with the 5N, but if it does overheat and need to rebuilt, the 6th N will go in.

bigjim56

Build with 6 E plates and short out one if necessary.

BoyntonStu