Thread: Pictures of my 2 electrodes. One work better then the other, I think I know why.

brunet Guest

Pictures of my 2 electrodes. One work better then the other, I think I know why.

The threaded rod electrode was my first design, the plates are my second. The threaded rod design seems to produce alot more bubbles with the exact same electrolyte amount as tried with the plate design. I don't have my amp meter at the moment so it could be that the way the plate design is it draws less amps than the thread rod with the same electrolyte. So i think i need to try both electrodes again, adding electrolyte to get a fixed amp draw. Then with both electrodes pulling the same amps THEN i will know which is producing more. I have not yet figured out amp draw and production changes with surface area, thickness, length etc for the electrodes. I do know that production and amp draw are affected by the way the electrodes are set up.
    Still trying to research more into "Series" and "Parallel" designs and weather or not to insulate electrodes or to use neutral plates or not.

Sorry this forum doesn't resize pictures for you, i will post pics later,

brunet Guest
    Just tried my second plate design cell with a charged battery. It was dead in the above post. It makes ALOT of bubbles without any electrolyte!! Then I put one tablespoon in for about 1L of water and it draws 55 amps!. It draws about 25 amps without any electrolyte!.

dstew2 Guest
    Are you using distilled water?

brunet Guest
    Yea i realized that afterward with whats ever in the tap water it's drawing those amps. Maybe i should get my water tested? haha. I tried the new design in the car tonight. Unfortunatly i had to use tap water for a test run. Right off the bat it drew 25amps. So i put a pinch of baking soda in to bring it to my 30 amps. Then as i drove down the road it started to heat up, i had to shut it off at 60-65 amps about 10 mins of driving. Heat seems to up the amp draw significantly, because heat makes things more conductive. I bought some distilled water when i did this test run so i'll try with that it again saturday. This time i'll try to start off in the 5-15 amp range, then with the heat it should goto around 30 amps. I also wonder when it heats up and starts to draw more amps is it making more hho? or is the heat just making it draw more amps but not producing more hho?. If it's producing 1L/min at 15 amps and the heat makes it go up to 30 or more amps is it producing more than 1L/min ? at the higher amp draw? or is heat just a wasted nucance? One more thing, i used all stainless in my electrodes but still it makes the water brown or dark brown. Cheap stainless i guess? And the rust/errosion is only on the positive plates.

Getreal17 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brunet View Post
    I also wonder when it heats up and starts to draw more amps is it making more hho? or is the heat just making it draw more amps but not producing more hho?. If it's producing 1L/min at 15 amps and the heat makes it go up to 30 or more amps is it producing more than 1L/min ? at the higher amp draw? or is heat just a wasted nucance? One more thing, i used all stainless in my electrodes but still it makes the water brown or dark brown. Cheap stainless i guess? And the rust/errosion is only on the positive plates.
    1) To answer whether or not you are producing more because you are drawing more amps....the short answer is no. It's the water that is sapping the amperage, you aren't seeing any more current into the plates.

2) As far as the water color, I think this is due in part to several factors. Even though you have distilled water, there is still crap probably in it. Next, you are probably leaching out cutting fluids/machining oils out of the stainless. Lastly, you are probably using some copper wire to hook to your plates, I believe this may be a large source of the "brown" contents. All guesses, but I bet they all contribute.

Back to the amperage versuses heat question. Have you built a setup that allows you to measure your volume of gas being produced? IE a known volume container turned upside down filled with water in a water filled bucket??? If not, you've probably seen them on youtube where people are measuring their output. Try this. Run your cell with cool water and measure your output of gas. Next, (don't change anything else) get some real hot water from your stove and put it in the cell and run your gas output test.

Compare your results and remember to watch your amperage!