Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baking soda

Captain Charlie Guest

Baking soda

I have just finished reading most of the posts which is the best electrolite.
    The two kost talked about, NaOH and KOH seem to have their own side effects. Baking soda is easy to get, but there is mention of it producing undesirable gas. Several gases were mentioned by different people.

If that is so, where are these gases going to be to present a danger? Mine would be going into the engine with the HHO. I don't plan on standing at my work bench to breath whats coming out of the jar. I'm very new at this and may be niave so help me out here. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks,

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Charlie View Post
    I have just finished reading most of the posts which is the best electrolite.
    The two kost talked about, NaOH and KOH seem to have their own side effects. Baking soda is easy to get, but there is mention of it producing undesirable gas. Several gases were mentioned by different people.

If that is so, where are these gases going to be to present a danger? Mine would be going into the engine with the HHO. I don't plan on standing at my work bench to breath whats coming out of the jar. I'm very new at this and may be niave so help me out here. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks,

Charlie
    i believe baking soda makes clorine gas
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    i believe baking soda makes clorine gas
    Err... no it doesn't.

Baking soda is NaHCO3 there is no Cl in that molecule.

When you mix NaHCO3 with 2(H20) and applied to the electrolysis process you get CO2 + NaOH + 2(H2) + O2 or Carbon Dioxide and Sodium Hydroxide along with HHO. The CO2 and HHO leave the chamber together; the NaOH recombines with the water.

So, no it doesn't make Chlorine gas, it makes Carbon Dioxide.

Table salt however, 2(NaCl)+2(H20) yeilds Cl2+H2+2(NaOH)... Chlorine gas.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Captain Charlie Guest
    Thanks for the reply and the answer.

Charlie

I used baking soda with aluminum plates, it worked pretty good but didnt have a high gas output. The plates stayed clean, anything else would eat up the aluminum.

truckman1966 Guest
    So since sodium hydroxide (NaOH) has no carbon in that molecule, there is no way for it to produce CO2, correct? Therefore, all gas coming out of the unit would be NaOH, H2, and O2 leaving the NaOH sill in the aqueous solution, correct? So why mess with baking soda when NaOH is so readily available?

truckman1966 Guest
    of course i think it would kill aluminum plates.

Quote Originally Posted by truckman1966 View Post
    of course i think it would kill aluminum plates.
    You are correct. The NaOH would stay in aqueous solution. And yes the aluminium would get eaten up with NaOH. However, the mix of NaOH and Aluminium makes Hydrogen. So if you don't mind replacing your plates on a regular basis...
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

truckman1966 Guest
    I posted on another thread but i am still amazed that the baking soda -> lye conversion uses like 20 times less electrolyte concentrate. and that when you crunch the numbers it is actually cheaper to run lye. i'm going to up the dosage and see what kind of production i get. was using 8 tbsp:gallon water with baking soda. now i am 1/2TSP:gallon water with the lye. gonna up it to twice as much later today.

Citric Acid and Baking Soda

Here is another option that you guys can try, it's working pretty well so far for us.
    Add 5 level t spoons of citric acid crystals and ONE T SPOON OF BAKING SODA, per gallon of water(distilled or rain water= works better).
    Do not exceed amount.. if you need to add fluid, do not add fluid with
    additive in it, the additive stays in the unit.
    Excess additive is BAD overheating will occur; possible blown fuse, excessive corrosion and you could damage yourself if you don't handle it properly.
    The generator wiring(plates) and excess additive will draw
    excessive amps. you will need to add some water when you gas up.
    Properly mixed units will draw less than 4 amps.

HHO Kit