Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will N plates fix my proplem?

Will N plates fix my proplem?

The biggest problem I have is the water getting dirty. I read that N plates will stop this but never tried it. Ive just been playing with +-+-+- setup.

Another problem Im having is the plates disolving after a few hours.

coffeeachiever Guest
    What do you mean the plates are dissolving? What kind of plates are you using?

Need to know what kind of electrolite you are using and what kind of ss.

I agree, we need to know what you're using for electrolyte and what type of plates you're using...

also what are you using for a power supply?

mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Are you using aluminum for your plates? If so, this will explain the dissolving.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Actually with the +-+-+- setup, you'll have so much extra voltage that it eats the plates away. I did an early experiment with stainless steel condiment cups and NaOH as the electrolyte. It ate the negative cups in about two months of use. You do need to add unconnected (neutral) plates to bring down the voltage. It will also drop your heat levels.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Actually with the +-+-+- setup, you'll have so much extra voltage that it eats the plates away. I did an early experiment with stainless steel condiment cups and NaOH as the electrolyte. It ate the negative cups in about two months of use. You do need to add unconnected (neutral) plates to bring down the voltage. It will also drop your heat levels.
    I agree especially with low grade SS plates. No n plates and they will deteriorate fairly fast. My first cell long ago was made out of plates cut from an old referator stainless door cover. They were I think 430SS. They were magnetic. Connected +-+-+- they made lots of heat and basically dissolved in no time. After an hour the electrolite was muck. I was also using baking soda at that time. What a mess.

I use just straight 12v from a battery for power. Ive used alot of metal for plates, ss, aluminum, steel, copper, brass, lead, anything I could find. I started about 4 years ago on this so over time Ive tried everything but these 2 problems always seem to stay.

Ive tried salt water, baking soda, potasuim hydroxide, any kind of fertilizer I could find. I tried about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    I use just straight 12v from a battery for power. Ive used alot of metal for plates, ss, aluminum, steel, copper, brass, lead, anything I could find. I started about 4 years ago on this so over time Ive tried everything but these 2 problems always seem to stay.

Ive tried salt water, baking soda, potasuim hydroxide, any kind of fertilizer I could find. I tried about everything.
    here's the basic rules of thumbs (is that a valid phrase ?? LOL )

1. use the highest SS plates you can 316L seems to be the norm
    2. you want enough plates so that the source voltage divided by number of plates is at least 2.0 volts..(per gap)
    3. You NEVER NEVER want to use baking soda or salt water.
    4. Distilled water only and only KOH or NaOH as the caustic.

try these ideas and see if it helps you situation.
    mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post

The tried and true method for an automobile, is to build what is called a dry cell. Utilizing 316L Stainless Steel; with either 100% NaOH or 100% KOH added to distilled water as the electrolyte.

In the configuration of: +|||||-|||||+|||||- where the + and - symbols are representing plates connected to the battery. Then adjust your current draw in the system with the concentration of NaOH or KOH.

There are many examples of this on the web. The good thing about this design; its easy to reconfigure into different voltage drops and it doesn't corrode.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!