Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hho power from larg neon transformer?

actually the neon transformer has overload protection. I can literally short the secondary side out without damaging it. I was worried about the bleedover from the 120 volt dc welding circuit but since the the secondary side of the neon is isolated and i'm using separate electrodes i'm thinking i'll be fine.

SmartScarecrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
    actually the neon transformer has overload protection. I can literally short the secondary side out without damaging it. I was worried about the bleedover from the 120 volt dc welding circuit but since the the secondary side of the neon is isolated and i'm using separate electrodes i'm thinking i'll be fine.

ok, I see where you are headed ... yeah, that makes sense ... but in my own scenario, the only place where the low voltage and high voltage meet is at the spark plug I am using as my spark gap plasma water blower upper ... its two complete separate system ... though they are both powered from the same circuit off the breaker so I guess in that respect they are joined ...

I used a "rope" made of high voltage diodes to isolate the HV side from the low voltage side because I more afraid of the HV pulse bleeding back into my rectifier and smoothing capacitor ... these are max rate at about 400v so I just dont was them to ever see that 9Kv ... this is also why the low voltage positive connection is to the spark plug base but the high voltage positive is down the center terminal ...

BOTH HV AND LV ARE DC WHEN THEY HIT THE SPARK PLUG ... you really, really, really need to rectify the output of your HV transformer for this ... if you hit it with AC, you might just blow your low voltage rectifier and capacitor ... for that matter, I suspect your HV capacitor is probably a DC device ... and again, it does the same thing you will be doing with the capacitor on the low voltage side ... just smoothing out the ripples so it looks more like vanilla DC ...

I hear what your saying, in my case my low voltage is a monster size industrial welding unit its capable of both ac and dc welding up to 300 amps with low 80 volts and high 120 volts on the dc . the mains are 277/480 so I doubt my tiny 30 milliamp neon transformer can hurt it. what i'm not sure of is the secondary 12kv of my neon transformer ac or dc? I believe its also called a flyback transformer. I was under the impression its dc. have you thought of putting your sparkplug plasma setup in a small brigs n stratton and feeding it a mist of water through the air intake. Target sells a whole house ultrasonic humidifier for about 60$ the ignition coil would supply plenty of high voltage primmer spark @6000 volts or more and than piggy back the the high amp low voltage supply to produce the plasma I imagine you'ld have use a relay on the ignition circuit to time the high amp low voltage circuit so it opens and closes the same time as the ignition circuit.

SmartScarecrow Guest
    I hear what your saying, in my case my low voltage is a monster size industrial welding unit its capable of both ac and dc welding up to 300 amps with low 80 volts and high 120 volts on the dc . the mains are 277/480 so I doubt my tiny 30 milliamp neon transformer can hurt it. what i'm not sure of is the secondary 12kv of my neon transformer ac or dc? I believe its also called a flyback transformer. I was under the impression its dc. have you thought of putting your sparkplug plasma setup in a small brigs n stratton and feeding it a mist of water through the air intake. Target sells a whole house ultrasonic humidifier for about 60$ the ignition coil would supply plenty of high voltage primmer spark @6000 volts or more and than piggy back the the high amp low voltage supply to produce the plasma I imagine you'ld have use a relay on the ignition circuit to time the high amp low voltage circuit so it opens and closes the same time as the ignition circuit.
    what's coming off your neon sign tranny is AC ... I am pretty sure ... stands to reason if you think about it ... I tore mine apart to see what made it tick and there aint no HV diodes in there ... I got a deal from a guy on eBay about 2 years ago on bulk package of 5Kv in line diodes that I think are rated for about .0000001ma or less because they are really easy to smoke ... LOL ... but when you make a rope out of enough of them, with bundles in parallel then chain them in series, they can handle rectification of the HV coming off the secondary of the tranny ... I suspect if you are cheap as I am, that is the type thing you will end up with ... it will look like hell, but should work ...

or you can break bad and just buy one out of China all made up and pretty for about $100 or so ...

do you happen to know the name of the website from china?

SmartScarecrow Guest
    do you happen to know the name of the website from china?

take a look at this guy's ebay store ... I have bought from him before and he seems reasonable ... his prices are fair and he has a lot of really neat high voltage toys for big boys ...

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/OT-Elect...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

20x 10mA12kV High Voltage Diode HV Rectifier Tesla Ham

wow 20 of them for twelve bucks. my neon transformer is only 30 milliamps. if I string three of them together per leg I should be more than protected...

SmartScarecrow Guest
    20x 10mA12kV High Voltage Diode HV Rectifier Tesla Ham

wow 20 of them for twelve bucks. my neon transformer is only 30 milliamps. if I string three of them together per leg I should be more than protected...
    that's pretty much what I ended up doing ... made me a star and rectified both legs of the AC into a DC feed ... run the DC through a bank of HV caps to smooth out the pulses ... that's optional of course, will work find without HV smoothing ... now I did find that a cap on the low voltage connection and a modest inductor, about 30 wraps of 12ga around an iron core, seemed to give the 120vDC pulse a lot more punch than without it ... so I use it ... got that tip from that guy West ...

what you want to do if you want to explode water with plasma is think of the 120v potential as being the work horse that needs a swift kick in the butt from the HV arc ... all that HV needs to do is make a path of ions for the low voltage to follow ... once them ions are used up, it turn off the plasma ... so you can basically pulse the AC going into your tranny with a solid state relay using a 555 timer circuit and trigger the whole mess to go BANG !!!

once you got a reliable plasma spark setup, the next step is to fabricate a container that you inject a mist of water or maybe steam into ... proceed with caution here as it just might go BOOOOOM instead of BANG ... BANG good ... BOOOOOM bad !!!