Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Timing

Ignition Timing

Is it absolutely necessary to adjust the ignition timing of a car right after installing an HHO cell?

I've seen lots of discussions about this and not sure what's the truth.

If so, I would need to take a look at the workshop manual of my Discovery and figure out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by livehho View Post
    Is it absolutely necessary to adjust the ignition timing of a car right after installing an HHO cell?

If so, I would need to take a look at the workshop manual of my Discovery and figure out how to do that.
    I believe the car's computer will make the compensation for you. I've not heard of anyone (except carbureted) that has had to adjust their timing.

mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

I don't think the PCM will make adjustments to the timming when you add HHO to the mix. How will it know when it's there, Higher Oxygen readings at the O2 sensors, that will just richen up the gas mixture. I havent hooked up my system yet but I think the timming should be retarted about 5 to 10 deg. HHO makes a faster and more complete burn. I've seen my GMC sierra reach 53 deg before TDC with gas only, that's way to soon for ignition with HHO.

In my quest to learn about HHO and it's use I have taken another road to tricking the PCM. I'm reading how to change the tables in the computer to avoid popping codes.
    If you can read this, Thank a Teacher!! If you can read this in English, Thank a Soldier!!
    "A Veteran is someone who, at some point in his or her life, wrote out a blank check, payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including his life."

Most of todays cars have no way for you to adjust the timing. Even most dealerships do not have a way to do it. Even if you have a car that can have the timing adjusted by the dealership they will not do it for you. It messes with emissions and that is against the law. If you are one of the lucky ones that have a vehicle that companies like Superchips has hacked the codes those devices cost a lot of money and usually have only programs to increase performance. Those advance the timing. The one thing that helps is that all of todays cars sense pre-ignition which is our problem. They then retard the timing to eliminate the problem. Unless you plan on putting lots and lots of HHO in your car you should not have a problem. With the amount of amps that we are limited to due to your electrical systems maximum ability you should not be able to put excessive HHO in your intake.

One more thing Livehho. If I read your post right you own a Land Rover. I have been in the car business a long time and know cars. If you plan any electrical mod's be very careful. There are a few vehicles that have very sensitive electronics and Land Rover is one of them. One slight mistake and it is thousands of dollars.

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    One more thing Livehho. If I read your post right you own a Land Rover. I have been in the car business a long time and know cars. If you plan any electrical mod's be very careful. There are a few vehicles that have very sensitive electronics and Land Rover is one of them. One slight mistake and it is thousands of dollars.
    What are some other cars we shouldn't mess with besides land rovers and hybrids?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    What are some other cars we shouldn't mess with besides land rovers and hybrids?
    we can mess with these, we just need to be mindful.

I remote start land rovers, audi's, lexus' BMW's, benzos, saab's, hybrids.. all the time..

granted, i need to take more time, and pay attention to what i'm doing, but they're not taboo by any means.

mike
    Individually our voices are but a whisper, only together will we be heard.
    ENERGY SHOULD BE AND WILL BE FREE

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeachiever View Post
    The vehicles we have the most electronic trouble with are German and Brittish vehicles. Not that they are bad cars at all just finicky about electronics bad. Also very expensive to repair when they break. The ECM's are the most likely to actially burn out if something is messed up. Very easy to cause CEL's. Not that we can not mess with them just a word of caution to make sure that the wire we tap into is the correct one. The absolute worst one to mess with is Volvo. They actually have mulitple on board computers that all talk to each other and CEL problems can be a spider web.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Most of todays cars have no way for you to adjust the timing. Even most dealerships do not have a way to do it. Even if you have a car that can have the timing adjusted by the dealership they will not do it for you. It messes with emissions and that is against the law. If you are one of the lucky ones that have a vehicle that companies like Superchips has hacked the codes those devices cost a lot of money and usually have only programs to increase performance. Those advance the timing. The one thing that helps is that all of todays cars sense pre-ignition which is our problem. They then retard the timing to eliminate the problem. Unless you plan on putting lots and lots of HHO in your car you should not have a problem. With the amount of amps that we are limited to due to your electrical systems maximum ability you should not be able to put excessive HHO in your intake.
    cool. even better. so I don't have to do nothing.

Does 3-4 LPM qualify as lots and lots of HHO ?

just wanna make sure I'm good to go

cool. even better. so I don't have to do nothing.

Does 3-4 LPM qualify as lots and lots of HHO ?

just wanna make sure I'm good to go
    That is not too much. With the V8 you have in the Discovery you could even use a little more. Just watch the amp draw. You could end up stranded with a dead battery or worse. Toast the diodes in your alternator. An alternator for your vehicle will cost plenty!