Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition Timing

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Jackson View Post
    When I finally get my house done I will be focusing on my del-SHHOl project. Right now I am planning on putting 4 120 amp hour deep cycles in the trunk with the hydrogen generator. My initial goal is 20LPM. Sounds like a lot but I will be running at 48v. I only need 60 amps and 7mmw to do 20lpm..... Phase 2 will be to add a 48v alternator to extend range/ higher amperage.

I will also be adding a plasma spark circuit and playing with water injection. Lastly I will be looking at vapor intake.....

Lots of tricks to try.... no time right now.... (or money… so buy a PWM or EFIE… hay I am starting to sound like Mr. President….. )
    HOLY COW! 20lpm is a lot of HHO. I have a 260 amp high effeciency alternator on order so I can experiment with high amps and lots of HHO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    That is not too much. With the V8 you have in the Discovery you could even use a little more. Just watch the amp draw. You could end up stranded with a dead battery or worse. Toast the diodes in your alternator. An alternator for your vehicle will cost plenty!
    Cool. Regarding the alternator I've calculated I can use up to 40 amps for the HHO generator. My car has a 100A alternator with a 70% duty cycle (70A continuous).

With the car on.. the alternator pushes 20A, when I turn the lights on they become 35A.. so I can use the remaining 35-40 amps for the HHO gen. In my bench tests I produce 3LPM at 40A so I'm just reaching the threshold.

Yeah I know, 100A alternator sucks. I'll have to look for a bigger one. In the meanwhile I guess I would have to turn the HHO cell off whenever I need to use my A/C and lights at the same time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by livehho View Post
    Cool. Regarding the alternator I've calculated I can use up to 40 amps for the HHO generator. My car has a 100A alternator with a 70% duty cycle (70A continuous).

With the car on.. the alternator pushes 20A, when I turn the lights on they become 35A.. so I can use the remaining 35-40 amps for the HHO gen. In my bench tests I produce 3LPM at 40A so I'm just reaching the threshold.

Yeah I know, 100A alternator sucks. I'll have to look for a bigger one. In the meanwhile I guess I would have to turn the HHO cell off whenever I need to use my A/C and lights at the same time. lol
    There is a company that can High Amp just about any alternator. If you google Ohio Generator you will find their web site. Just a warning. It is not cheap. I got a great deal because I set up our company as a distributor of their products. They are taking my Alternator from 130 amps to 260 amps. 240 amps contineous draw hot. They also increase effeciency. Less HP per amp. I want to run 100 amps or so with my cell. Trying to get high 6's MMW. That should get me 9 to 10 lpm HHO.

How does one determine the amps his alternator will put out like this? I looked in my manual and can seem to find it. I have an '02 Kia Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by cmac0351 View Post
    How does one determine the amps his alternator will put out like this? I looked in my manual and can seem to find it. I have an '02 Kia Rio.
    you have to use a clamp meter that is rated for 50A+ DC

I got mine at Amazon (Mastech rated for 1000A DC). Not that much expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS2138...1948020&sr=8-3

Just have to measure the thick cable going out of your alternator and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    There is a company that can High Amp just about any alternator. If you google Ohio Generator you will find their web site. Just a warning. It is not cheap. I got a great deal because I set up our company as a distributor of their products. They are taking my Alternator from 130 amps to 260 amps. 240 amps contineous draw hot. They also increase effeciency. Less HP per amp. I want to run 100 amps or so with my cell. Trying to get high 6's MMW. That should get me 9 to 10 lpm HHO.
    9 to 10 LPM ?????????

You gotta be able to reach 50% fuel efficiency with that much oxyhydrogen

I have a clamp on meter up to 400 amps DC. I understand how I can measure amps being drawn, but how do I know my alternators max? What I mean is: You said you have a 100 amp alternator. How do I know how high mine could go without causing trouble?

you have to use a clamp meter that is rated for 50A+ DC

I got mine at Amazon (Mastech rated for 1000A DC). Not that much expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS2138...1948020&sr=8-3

Just have to measure the thick cable going out of your alternator and that's it

I have a clamp on meter up to 400 amps DC. I understand how I can measure amps being drawn, but how do I know my alternators max? What I mean is: You said you have a 100 amp alternator. How do I know how high mine could go without causing trouble?
    my bad. i misunderstood.

My alternator has a sticker on it that says 100A. Regarding the duty cycle, I called the manufacturer.

my bad. i misunderstood.

My alternator has a sticker on it that says 100A. Regarding the duty cycle, I called the manufacturer.
    wich is Magnetti Marelli

Call the local dealers parts department. They can tell you the amperage rating of your alternator. Just remember they will quote you peak amps. No Alternator especially OEM alternators will put out peak amps for long. They heat up and your alternator output will drop usually OEM alternators are of poor quality and drop 20% or so off peak amps when hot. You need to use max output hot to determine how many amps you can spare for your cell. For a small car like yours that is stock I would not exceed 15 amps to the cell. Small economy cars do not have the extra alternator capacity like trucks and SUV's that may br used for towing, etc.