Thread: Dry Cell help

bigsmoke1956 Guest

Dry Cell help

I am finally going to leave the wet cell idea and switching over to the dry cell.
    What I need help with is the intake hole and the exit hole for the electrolyte, I am building a 316L 6x6 13pl. +nnnnn-nnnnn+ and maybe expand it later. Can all you Guru's give an idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke1956 View Post
    I am finally going to leave the wet cell idea and switching over to the dry cell.
    What I need help with is the intake hole and the exit hole for the electrolyte, I am building a 316L 6x6 13pl. +nnnnn-nnnnn+ and maybe expand it later. Can all you Guru's give an idea.

Thanks
    You won't regret it, I've never looked back.

What exactly do you need help with regarding the holes?

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

bigsmoke1956 Guest
    Thanks for responding Painless
    Mainly the size of the hole, bend following your stuff and your ideas a lot.

Thanks

coffeeachiever Guest
    Mine has 1/4 inch holes. One in the bottom for the electrolyte to go in, three in the top for gas out.
    Some people seem to prefer 3/8" holes and only two at the top, or any similar variation.
    There don't seem to be any hard and fast rules on number and size of holes. The main focus now seem to be preventing current leakage through the holes, so keep that in mind when you design your plates.
    Russ and Larry will probably shed more light than I can. Russ is correct though in saying you will never look back. After your first dry cell you will probably never build another wet one.

I use 1/4" holes and have no flow issues, one at the bottom and one at the top.

Be sure to put your top hole as near to the gasket as you can get it without risking a leak, this will determine your electrolyte level and therefore the surface area you will be able to use on each plate.

More holes is something some use, but personally, I've never used more than one top and one bottom.

Some people use just a top hole, however, in my opinion this requires careful priming of the cell and runs the risk of air pockets.

Good luck with your build! Be sure to post some pics!

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I use 1/4" holes and have no flow issues, one at the bottom and one at the top.

Be sure to put your top hole as near to the gasket as you can get it without risking a leak, this will determine your electrolyte level and therefore the surface area you will be able to use on each plate.

More holes is something some use, but personally, I've never used more than one top and one bottom.

Some people use just a top hole, however, in my opinion this requires careful priming of the cell and runs the risk of air pockets.

Good luck with your build! Be sure to post some pics!

Russ.
    If leakage around holes is a major factor, two holes per plate doubles the problem.

Use a single hole and eliminate the prime with a check valve.

See the Amoeba Cell 6x6 in operation.

FWIW

Boyntonstu

I agree that more and larger holes are not needed. I have measured 4lpm with the flow coming from just 1 1/4 inch hole at the top and 1 1/4 hole to allow electrolite return. Stu is making this work with only a top hole. I tried that design once and had trouble with air pockets and filling but never tried Stu's check valve set-up. I have 5/16 holes in the current plates I am using so I can coat the insides of the holes and still have a 1/4" opening. Stopping current leakage is good for a 10% increase in effeciency. If done right Plasti Dip will work but requires some extra drilling and extra work. I have a plastic welder on the way which requires an extra investment of $130.00. I will give it a try and post a video as to how it works. I am going to fill the holes with HDPE material. Sand them down flat and drill a 1/4" hole in the plastic making each hole have a thin plastic grommet. I have high hopes that will be effective but do not spend your money until I report back on it's effectiveness.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I agree that more and larger holes are not needed. I have measured 4lpm with the flow coming from just 1 1/4 inch hole at the top and 1 1/4 hole to allow electrolite return. Stu is making this work with only a top hole. I tried that design once and had trouble with air pockets and filling but never tried Stu's check valve set-up.
    Correction: I am using a single bottom hole for the input.

See the latest Amoeba Cell 6x6 Video and several preceding ones.

BoyntonStu

It seems to me that you could do this with a single tube from the top of the HHO generator. Gravity will always pull the electrolyte down while the HHO floats up. You wouldn't get the "flow" that people like to have and it would be a ***** to fill up initially, but once filled it would keep itself topped off as the HHO escapes the system.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!