Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Q-Hack's Test

After the first plates are finished glueing, I am happy with all but one... Think I will clean this one off and redo it.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

SmartScarecrow Guest
    I certainly admire your tenacity and do not wish to discourage you ... so take my reply with a grain of salt and press on, noble knight ... Dulcinea awaits her champion ...

BUT, if your benchmark for success is 7 lpm on 13.5v @ 20 amps, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed and potentially discouraged ...

The 2v per plate gap most shoot for is based on the poor conductivity of stainless steel. Tests with nickel plates have shown that much lower per gap voltages might be possible with different alloys. But so far, everything we have tried seems to quickly disintegrate due to the rather violent reaction. So we are pretty much stuck with stainless for time being.

Some tests have shown that a sandwich material with a copper core and stainless on both sides might be desirable ... I am aware of experiments with such material that are going on right now and the results look pretty interesting ... but you don't even want to know what it cost in time and money to bond 2 pieces of 26 gauge 316L to a core of copper ... as one of a kinds, the 6" x 6" plates would have to sell in the $150 each price range to make it interesting to produce them in quantity ... OUCH !!!

So we are married to Stainless, preferably 316L until we figure out something better that is cost effective ... and this pretty much pushes into the 2v per plate gap scenario to get decent performance ...

But I look forward to your results and hope you are able to show me something new ...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartScarecrow View Post
    I certainly admire your tenacity and do not wish to discourage you ... so take my reply with a grain of salt and press on, noble knight ... Dulcinea awaits her champion ...

BUT, if your benchmark for success is 7 lpm on 13.5v @ 20 amps, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed and potentially discouraged ...

The 2v per plate gap most shoot for is based on the poor conductivity of stainless steel. Tests with nickel plates have shown that much lower per gap voltages might be possible with different alloys. But so far, everything we have tried seems to quickly disintegrate due to the rather violent reaction. So we are pretty much stuck with stainless for time being.

Some tests have shown that a sandwich material with a copper core and stainless on both sides might be desirable ... I am aware of experiments with such material that are going on right now and the results look pretty interesting ... but you don't even want to know what it cost in time and money to bond 2 pieces of 26 gauge 316L to a core of copper ... as one of a kinds, the 6" x 6" plates would have to sell in the $150 each price range to make it interesting to produce them in quantity ... OUCH !!!

So we are married to Stainless, preferably 316L until we figure out something better that is cost effective ... and this pretty much pushes into the 2v per plate gap scenario to get decent performance ...

But I look forward to your results and hope you are able to show me something new ...
    A lot of people seem to think that the voltage requirement is based on the use of stainless steel. While the fact that it doesn't conduct very well is well documented, the real voltage requirement comes from the type of electrolyte and not the type of metal. Yes, stainless steel does require a slightly higher voltage to perform better. I am not arguing that fact. Hence the reason for using .93 volts instead of the .7 that is required to start HHO production with AgNO3. Maybe I should post the link to the book again.

This was written in 1919 and clearly shows what I am trying to point out on page 131. http://www.archive.org/download/chem...00teedrich.pdf

Edit: Yes I know my 7 LPM at 20 amps is a bit over the top... but, one must have goals
    --

coffeeachiever Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    A lot of people seem to think that the voltage requirement is based on the use of stainless steel. While the fact that it doesn't conduct very well is well documented, the real voltage requirement comes from the type of electrolyte and not the type of metal. Yes, stainless steel does require a slightly higher voltage to perform better. I am not arguing that fact. Hence the reason for using .93 volts instead of the .7 that is required to start HHO production with AgNO3. Maybe I should post the link to the book again.

This was written in 1919 and clearly shows what I am trying to point out on page 131. http://www.archive.org/download/chem...00teedrich.pdf

Edit: Yes I know my 7 LPM at 20 amps is a bit over the top... but, one must have goals
    SmartScarecrow is a minor hero of mine and I hang on every word he says, but I still have high hopes for this experiment. Glad to see SSC open minded about it. I'm glad to see your determination Q-Hack and I am very eager to see what you come up with.
    As I used to say in my days as a hoodlum, leave no turn unstoned.
    You know what I mean.

One of the reasons for trying again with AgNO3 was that I wanted to eliminate the need for check valves and other doo-dads that are difficult at best to work with. While I was originally thinking that AgNO3 would be safe for the engine, I am now rethinking this.

I just did a little experiment where I was wanting to find out if AgNO3 in aqueous solution would cause corrosion on aluminium. I don't think it will, but time will tell. However... One of the things I discovered (I am sure a chemist would have already known) was that the silver particulates out when in contact with aluminium. Not sure I am ready to have pieces of silver confetti in my engine just yet.

I am still going to continue with this experiment...
    --

Not sure I am ready to have pieces of silver confetti in my engine just yet.
    But, just imagine, the pretty reflective silver pieces flying out of your exhaust and catching the sunlight!
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    But, just imagine, the pretty reflective silver pieces flying out of your exhaust and catching the sunlight!
    mmm... I wonder how that would show up on the emissions test?
    --

Well, if you're blowing silver out of your exhaust then you must be contributing money to the environment?

alpha-dog Guest
    I don't know about emissions test but it should make some pretty good chaff to mess up radar speed traps.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha-dog View Post
    I don't know about emissions test but it should make some pretty good chaff to mess up radar speed traps.
    Not to mention the stroke of luck it will give you if your car is ever, accidentally, locked onto by a stray sidewinder.