Thread: I'm using Lye now...any pointers???

Mark'sGas Guest

Talking I'm using Lye now...any pointers???

I'm still using the bath design with a different generator setup. I have no leaks as of yet and I have removed the cell many time for testing. So far so good. LOL!!

Now that I have changed over to Lye, my HHO seems to be stronger and more powerful than B-soda. Smiles all around!!

I think the mileage will be even better than B-soda at 8.7 MPG.

My question is....What do I need to look out for as I move into the unknown?

Anyone have any advice? Thanks

PS gashead and I are getting ready to build the first of two dry cells. We just need to get some plumbing and cut the plates and it'll be good to go.

Here's a couple of pointers:

1) Always add the lye to the water, never the other way around.

2) Always use a container that can stand some heat as the reaction of adding lye to water is exothermic... it will get quite warm!

3) Wear gloves, don't get any on your skin and don't drink it. I have had some nasty burns from getting high strength electrolyte on my skin.

4) Don't breathe the vapors, unless you like taking trips to the ER (Coffee will gladly give you a ride).

5) Don't press 'Post Thread' more than once!

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MG one thing for sure is you're a lot better off losing the baking soda which is a terrible e-lyte.Lye is ok but if you want a cleaner e-lyte try using KOH(potassium hydroxide)here's a good source for it: http://www.lyedepot.com/purchase_lye/index.html

If you plan on building a dry cell design you'll need a much stronger solution of e-lyte.I use 28% by weight in my dry cell and that's about 2 LBS of KOH to 1 gallon of distilled water.Dry cells use a lot more than openbath cells due to the design.With open bath designs there are a lot of stray currents and virtually none in a dry design.

Do you have any plans for the dry cell you're planning to build?

Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MG one thing for sure is you're a lot better off losing the baking soda which is a terrible e-lyte.Lye is ok but if you want a cleaner e-lyte try using KOH(potassium hydroxide)here's a good source for it: http://www.lyedepot.com/purchase_lye/index.html

If you plan on building a dry cell design you'll need a much stronger solution of e-lyte.I use 28% by weight in my dry cell and that's about 2 LBS of KOH to 1 gallon of distilled water.Dry cells use a lot more than openbath cells due to the design.With open bath designs there are a lot of stray currents and virtually none in a dry design.

Do you have any plans for the dry cell you're planning to build?
    we are planning ( myself and marks gas ) on either a 13 plate or 19 plate design. i want to use +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn- 19 plate design with 4.25 inch 316l plates with 3.5 inch round rubber gaskets using 1/4 inch holes in the plates with 3/16 grommets installed to reduce current loss. does anyone see a problem with this arrangment, all suggestions will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    we are planning ( myself and marks gas ) on either a 13 plate or 19 plate design. i want to use +nnnnn-nnnnn+nnnnn- 19 plate design with 4.25 inch 316l plates with 3.5 inch round rubber gaskets using 1/4 inch holes in the plates with 3/16 grommets installed to reduce current loss. does anyone see a problem with this arrangment, all suggestions will be appreciated!
    I am not sure what grommets you will be using but I have thought about that over and over. They are so thick that the plate spacing would have to be so far apart that you would be better off with current leakage. I think that with tonights experiments I may be on to something easy and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    One more suggestion. As you are designing your cells make sure to keep the plate erea that is not exposed to electrolite at a bare minimum. Design your gaskets to be the same shape as your plates and as narrow as possible. Electricity is always trying to go from negative to positive. If it has no electrolite to travel through it will form an electromagnetic field around your plates. More non conductive space on your plates the bigger the electromagnetic field will be. With electricity nothing is free. The electromagnetic field will cause current loss and a voltage drop. This is called edge effect. Strive to keep it at a minimum. I just reduced my gasket width by 1/2 and gained .25 MMW. That does not sound like much but anything you can do to improve effeciency the better off you will be.