Thread: HHO and steam power

FitnessJunky Guest

Smile HHO and steam power

Hi, I’m new to the idea of HHO but I’ve been working on the idea of a rotary air or steam engine. Having stumbled across HHO I’m intrigued by the idea of burning HHO to super heat water and produce steam to drive a motor. Just wondered if anyone has experimented with HHO driven steam power?

Sounds interesting... The question in my mind is:

What is your final application? Using electricity to create HHO-burn HHO-boil water-use steam to drive motor, will be filled with so many losses that you will be better suited to just use an electric motor. If however you are trying to develop a Rupe Goldburg contraption to impress the kids, then sure, go for it.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

bigjim56 Guest
    I was in the Navy 1975-1979 where we ran 1200 psi boilers for steam generation for both ship propulsion and launching aircraft (aircraft carrier). I've since revisited Norfolk Navy Base a few times and all of the smaller boiler propelled ships are now turbine driven.
    Boilers still in operation are supplied heatwise by nuclear reactors. What you propose is highly unlikely because of the costs and technology. Turbines that are steam driven are very expensive because of the materials and the close tolerances involved. I think it would be much easier to seperate the HHO and burn the H, while expelling or suppressing the O thru sensors. Just my 2 cents.

bigjim56

FitnessJunky Guest
    Thanks for the advice guy’s. I’m a bit of a bike nut and even though I’m in the middle of building a Norton café racer with a Ducati V-twin I’m already thinking what my next project could be. I like the idea of going for something a bit more green and efficient then the good old internal combustion engine, but it also needs decent performance. I’ve ruled out electric because of the cost to purchase the battery technology required to give 60mph + and even then the range of the vehicle would be restricted.

Hence the idea of rotary piston engine using either hot compressed air (compressed air heated on the way to the engine to add pressure) or steam for propulsion. I looked at running off cold compressed air held in 10 carbon air tanks at 4500 psi, this would give me plenty of power but a short run time. If I can add sufficient heat to the air as it exits the tank and increase the pressure I can lower the pressure at which the air leaves the tank and make the air last longer. A rotary piston engine would give instant torque from very low revs and operating on pressure rather than combustion allows the engine design to be very simple. It’s something I’d like to experiment with anyway even if it never makes it into a vehicle. I had hoped that HHO would be a nice clean way of producing gas which I could then burn to produce heat for a steam or hot air system. Having had a dig around it looks, for now at least, that the process of producing HHO is energy hungry. Looks like it’s back to the less green option of producing heat from a slow burning bio diesel.

Regards
    Richard

FitnessJunky Guest
    Just read the posts that claim you can run a V8 on HHO alone? I’m sceptical but it true running an efficient rotary piston engine on it would be a synch. If it’s also true that it auto combusts at low psi, then an external combustion chamber maybe the way to force air through the engine. Apologies for the ramblings of a mad man but any comments on this idea would be appreciated.

Regards
    Richard

bigjim56 Guest
    I ride too. I've got a 2003 Honda VTX 1800 that has Vance & Hines Bigshots, a Kuryakyn intake and a PCIII for fuel management. I've seen where some have put HHO on bikes, but w/the PCIII I don't think that's a good idea. The power from the HHO would be greatly appreciated, but the PCIII negates the normal fuel "waste" that comes from normal internal combustion engines. It is programmed (mapped) for maximum efficiency throughout the powerband (every 500 RPM).

Can't wait for summer!

bigjim56

Cool FitnessJunky

Dude like the ideas!

I'm new to hho, I'm working on a 73 super beatle for drag racing,
    I'm trying to promote a green drag racing string
    Here is my idea
    A Pressurized system
    I will use dc current to the drycell
    And hho into injecters to motor

Now obviously water heats up with a current going through now is it the amps that heat up the water or is it the volts? Now yea obviously its a factor of both but which is more I guess is my question.
    I think its amps cause amps can kill you volts knock u out
    So let's say u put 6.5 million volts and 2.8 amps into a pressurized drycell and just making this up, but that 6.5 made a pressure of 800 lbs every 3 seconds used as a booster/nos into a system of 12 volts/5 lbs at engine idle, a 720 volt/ 30 amps for a accelerator at a 5 to 400 psi range of acceleration
    Now that would mean it would have to be a pressurized strait flow system or would it need a pressure tank but if I did that I could have a option for even higher psi.
    But now we come to operating the tanks output at a a lower out put with a high pressure behind it such completely loses me because that throws everything else out or does it because then in turn I would need 2 accelerators one for acceleration and one for booster speed but would that mean another tank? I don't know. I ramble on and intern get lost basically could my system work and if so how big would I need my drycell or would it matter considering the voltage?

Thanks for reading. My nonsense don't be afraid to judge